Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it really this expensive....

FishMama is offline Registered User

Is it really this expensive....

This is kinda just more a vent I guess. Have just paid my deposit for hospital (going private as don't like the look/sound of my local public one), so that's 20K, then to have pay additional to have a doctor do the delivery. So just called my OBGYN and that's going to be an additional 25-30K!!!! Is this normal. I knew having a baby wasn't going to be cheap, but is it really that much just to give birth? I wasn't expecting that at all.....
    I'm a first timer here so this is all very new and very eye opening to me.
    Anyone else shocked at how much this all is?

rani is offline Administrator
    Unfortunately it is normal for HK. Dr fees are not included in the hospital packages. You may also want to ask your Dr who the anesthesiologist is he uses, as their fees are also not included. One more thing, Drs fees may increase depending on the hospital room. So if you decide to take a private room, be prepared the Drs fees can be in the $50k range.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

charade is offline Registered User
    Ums, it's been in the news and discussed on these threads so much, I wasn't surprised at the cost. I'm not sure how it compares to other countries though. The cost (and the uncertainty of that cost) is the big reason many choose to go public, and many of those that go private have insurance.

If you're finding the cost already steep, suggest you read through these threads to get a sense of how it will add up. Like, you'll have to pay separately for a pediatrician and an anesthesiologist if one is needed. And ask your hospital very clearly how much if you need an emergency c-section, which can happen even if you plan a natural birth. I'd rather have an inflated estimate and budget accordingly than stress over the ticking time bomb of the bill while giving birth.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Oh yes - private hospital experience is expensive and the deposit is only the beginning. 2 years ago my normal delivery at Matilda with epidural, 3 day stay in a shared room, cost around $90K and that is not including my antenatal visits with my doctor. It was $15K for the epidural (made up of anaethetist's fee plus Matilda's fee for the epidural (presumably the drugs and equipment used)) and $9K for my obs to visit me at the hospital once a day for 3 days! Can't remember how much the pediatrican charged for the daily visits to the baby 3 times while I was there.

If you end up having a c-section then can be a lot more (our friend's c-section with complications was over $300K!). So, definitely pays to check the prices and be prepared for the unexpected unless you have good insurance. We only had partial insurance cover and the uncertainty over cost was a bit of a stress.

carang is offline Registered User
    you can end up paying anywhere from $50,000-250,000 for a private hospital delivery...

*just saw starbucks response saying can be even higher than $250,000!!!

so, if it is all coming out of your pocket, you may want to rethink it. $250,000 vs $500 at a public hospital.
    for us, it came down to this: while the public hospital was ok, it wasn't fantastic. it was only a few days out of my life and for the amount that we saved, it was worth it for us. i know others will have a different take on it and think that $250,000 is worth it, too.
    tsubasa and papahk like this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, in Hong Kong this is normal. Even in the States, where I gave birth to my first child, unless you have insurance that covers it you can expect to pay at minimum 8-10K USD for a normal delivery (no c-section or extra interventions like induction, epidurals). I paid about 10K USD (77K HKD) for a normal vaginal birth with no interventions attended by a midwife inside of a hospital so I even skipped out on the physician fees.

I don't know what private hospital you're going to but my experience was that the private hospitals and doctors don't mean you're getting better care than a public one--there are exceptions but I was also registered for a private hospital birth and had paid a booking fee of $3,000 HKD (not the deposit) but in the end, I didn't give birth at the private hospital.

I gave birth at a public hospital and had a semi-private recovery room which ran me about $7,000 HKD. Money well spent. You can read my story here.

Giving birth in a hospital sure isn't cheap unless you go to a public hospital in Hong Kong.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

FishMama is offline Registered User
    Thanks all, more stuff to think about. I've already paid the deposit for private so no going back.... Just a little taken back by it all. Weave insurance so should get most of it back, barring any complications.. Maybe it's just coz I'm a first timer, but they really should tell you all of this up front in like a leaflet or something.... But hey ho,guess you don't think about this until your in it.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately As with all things in life, even if these things "should" come listed in a neat little package like a leaflet, they often don't. One really needs to do some due diligence and you will find that if you do enough research (most hospitals will tell you what is and is not included in their package), and ask your Obgyn for their fees, and search the threads here, you will have gathered enough info to write your own little leaflet :)

That goes for maternity, buying a car, flat, anything else really. Caveat emptor!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast