Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Moving from UK to HK ands very excited!!!!!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    We live very close to Stanley on the Southside and we've been very happy here. Stanley is nice to have as it has lots of different stores and restaurants so there isn't always a need to go to town. I didn't like Pokfulam, found it too crowded. Here it's greener, close to the beaches, lots of preschools and other kids, the trade off is that it's a little further from Central, but there are good connections and Causeway Bay can be reached within 30 minutes, even 20 minutes at quiet times in minibus 40. I often go the other way around to Taikoo as well, as it has a lot of options and it's easier than Central. Tai Tam Country Park is around the corner and at least 7-8 beaches within 20 minutes. You should be able to get something in your price range in either Stanley or Tai Tam. Some 3-bedroom older walk ups or some apartments. Manhattan should be within your price range for a 3-bedroom although long waiting lists.
    Kiwiloo likes this.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi Kiwiloo, not sure if you are still in the decision process but I stand by my recommendation for DB as a good option for you. There are a few DB haters on this forum so would suggest you take a look for yourself and decide. In my opinion, DB meets all your listed wants "we would love somewhere with activity for kids eg Music, football, swimming. A choice of a few good preschool. Green space for our dog and somewhere that isn't far from restaurant and bars oh and lastly not too polluted. "

I've lived and worked in London so know Clapham well. Obviously the feel of London is different to the feel of HK but PM me if you want my take on the differences having lived and worked in both. Can also give my thoughts on differences between living in Midlevels, DB and New Territoriesbas well. The is a 25 min ferry to Central from DB and I work in Central so know the commute from experience well. Not sure where your husband's job is based. Also important to consider if you want a high rise apartment block style living or lower rise maybe with a garden. In DB with your budget, you'd probably be able to get a low rise apartment block with a garden. We decided we preferred more space and went without a garden but there are so many parks and playgrounds close by that a garden accessibke from our apartment was not as much of a priority for us as having more space inside. Good luck!
    Last edited by starbucks2; 06-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.

nltempany is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I just moved to HK from Australia. I absolutely LOVE it here. I think we'll live here for a long time.

I needed the same sorts of facilities as you. I don't have a dog but I do have 4 kids! I also wanted kids activities, space to run, close to an MTR and close to the great markets and shopping in Mong Kok.

We found an apartment in Tai Kok Tsui right near Olympic MTR. We can walk or train anywhere really fast and conveniently. We live in a beautiful new building called The Hermitage. The club facilities are 'luxury-resort' like. The children's indoor play space is superb. Our apartment is big enough for 3 adults, 4 children for $40 000HKD per month.

Good Luck!

nltempany is offline Registered User
    PS. We made the decision not to live like expats with expats. We love all our expat friends but we kind of follow the whole notion 'when in Rome' or when in Hong Kong live like Hong Kongers. And Hong Kongets certainly know how to live.

archerbaby is offline Registered User
    Hi Kiwiloo - we also moved from Clapham to HK last month so we were in your position of figuring out where to live a couple of months ago! I have a 6 month old and was really worried about the pollution before I arrived based on everything I read on-line - it hasn't been as bad as I expected and no worse, really, than the pollution I faced walking up Clapham High Street every day!! You shouldn't worry about that at all. Despite being brought up on a farm I'm now a real city girl and love being part of things rather than out in the 'burbs - my hubby and I both work (I'll be returning to work after mat leave in October) so we wanted to live between Central and Quarry Bay based on our work locations. We settled on Bamboo Grove (80 Kennedy Rd) in mid-levels east and really love it here. I hadn't expected to be able to walk anywhere with my pram but I'm finding it really easy to get around Wanchai and into Happy Valley - that kind of accessibility was really important to me as I didn't want to have to get a taxi everywhere (though the summer heat may put a stop to my walking adventures!). If you want anymore nformation let me know - I'd be happy to chat to you or email separately as I did a huge amount of research before coming here. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12