Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Moving from UK to HK ands very excited!!!!!

Kiwiloo is offline Registered User

Moving from UK to HK ands very excited!!!!!

Hello lovely Mothers and Father of HK!!! I am currently loving in the UK (London, Clapham) to HK at the end of July. My hubby has a job lined up already but as all new comers we have no where to live, no car, no preschool (for my 22month old boy) and no idea of where to start. I've been doing loads of research and feel I have nailed a few area down that could be the places for us but I just need a bit of help with which one. Happy Valley, Stanley, Repulse bay, and maybe Mid Levels (just a little put off *by Mid levels with the amount of pollution) We would love somewhere with activity for kids eg Music, football, swimming. A choice of a few good preschool. Green space for our dog and somewhere that isn't far from restaurant and bars oh and lastly not too polluted. So not asking much. Hahahaha. Also our budget for rent is between $50/65 HKD. *Any advice would be great and maybe we will see around. Take care and thank u.*
    Posted via Mobile Device

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    It depends how much space you want/need. Of the areas you list you will get more for your money in Happy Valley and have a really nice lifestyle in a very nice family friendly neighbourhood (Ventris Place is a great block). I would prefer to be there than mid-levels which I find a bit cramped and hectic. But some people love Mid Levels it is so personal. Happy Valley has great shops, restaurants and is near a lot of great classes and activities for your toddler. Pre-schools - look up Woodlands, Busy Bees (at Hong Kong Football Club very near Happy Valley) and City Kids (in mid levels but not far away). Good luck with the move!
    Kiwiloo likes this.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay sounds perfect for you! Its not on your original list but PM me if you want my pros and cons of the place. I lived in Midlevels for 5 years before moving to Discovery Bay 2 years ago.
    Kiwiloo likes this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I imagine someone coming to from Clapham is the type of person that wants to experience the real Hong Kong. Be in with the hustle and bustle, experience the smells, sounds, sights and foods of Hong Kong. Discovery Bay is pretty much completely opposite of that.

Telling someone coming from Clapham to live in DB is like telling someone from CausewayBay to go live in Milton Keynes when they are considering London.

OP : Where will you guys work? Happy Valley is very convenient and green. Mid Levels is a bit of a concrete jungle. Southside is wonderful but can be a pain to transport in and out of during rush hour.
    Kiwiloo likes this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I also recommend Pok Fu Lum. Lots of expats live there, close proximity to the city, but with much less pollution and traffic than Mid-levels.
    Kiwiloo likes this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Happy valley would be the best choice from what you are looking for...only thing that would be missing that you'd find in the other places (except mid-levels) is open space for kids...but having said that there is one park on the top of happy valley you can go to but it's just open space. Have you considered bel air? Baguio is also good... for kids it's great, down fall is no restaurants or bars...
    Kiwiloo likes this.

Jules007 is offline Registered User
    Yes to Pokfulam. Check out Bel air and the Belchers. Belchers v convenient to town and loads of facilities around. Bel air less convenient and a little more rural!

Kiwiloo is offline Registered User
    Thankyou all for ur helpful advice. Now have an good few areas to check out. All becoming so real. Can't wait!!!! Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast