Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Transitioning from co-sleeping to bed

southside852 is offline Registered User

Transitioning from co-sleeping to bed

My 20 month year old has hated his crib since 9 months. For the first 9 months, he slept beautifully and through the night starting at 9 weeks old. WHen we traveled back to the US last summer via Hawaii (my in-laws are there) everything changed. He slept on us the entire flight and we used hotel cribs (not ideal) for 2 weeks. Since then, it's been down hill. When we got to NYC, we used my parents crib which he cried and begged to picked up. Because of all the change and jet lag we just decided to sleep with him in our bed for almost 2 months. Since then, he's been there every night. He's our 2nd child and I swore I would NEVER co-sleep. We ferberized our first and now I feel like we are too deep in this. We've tried to get him back into a crib, but he cringes at even the sight of it. He becomes totally hysterical.

He's now 20 months and we are slowly getting ready to reclaim our bed again. My oldest slept in a bed at 20 months so we are not strangers to it, but he never co-slept with us - he was always in crib and we moved him out because he climbed out of it.

Has anyone had an experience with this? We have a toddler bed just calling his name and we've put it out in hopes of him getting used to at least seeing it, but even when we try and put him in it, he lifts his arms up to be picked up to our bed.

Would love any suggestions or ideas from anyone who has co-slept and then transitioned to a bed. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

you need to decide if this is a battle you want to win. if it is, then no amount of kicking and screaming should deter you (sounds harsh, i know)...

it will probably take a week or two of nearly sleepless nights, but in the end it will work out.

you just have to be strong and not let your child control you.

you will need some kind of reward for when he does sleep in it. maybe start with naps?
    good luck!

you need to decide if this is a battle that you are going to win... then win... (sounds harsh, i know).

but you need to decide and then not back down... for any reason. if you back down, the next time will be a lot harder because he knows he'll get what he wants in the end (which he already thinks anyway).

you will need to set up some kind of reward system for staying in his bed (he is old enough to understand).

and then "just do it"... as nike used to say.

good luck! you are all going to need to be very strong.

hmmm... sorry for the double post...

southside852 is offline Registered User

thanks carang for your post! ugh - i have no desire to start this process but i know it has to be done.