Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Urgent! Got an offer from French international School.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Believe me, within that 'top tier' of international schools, FIS is not even considered.

I would take the place, keep on the other waiting list and hope to transfer (and possibly have to spend some money on tutors to catch your child up).

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by missprincepessa View Post
    FIS is considered in the top tier of HK international schools, along with GSIS, HKIS, CIS etc etc.
    Putting those 4 schools in the same category shows that you are misinformed. You should do a bit more research.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

My colleague has one of his children going to the FIS primary. He says they are fine with that for the moment, but they have seen lots of behaviour at the secondary level that gives him pause to consider whether his daughter will continue at the FIS when she reaches that age.

redenae is offline Registered User

I'm just saying, Carang, but my sister and brother both go there and I'm pretty damn sure they know what's going on in there. You may have been experienced in the education field for a long time, but sometimes people don't really say what really happens. It's just in-school drama. Kids smoke lots there, outside the gates and they're known to be quite bad. I know a majority who go out drinking, and I Know many other international kids do this too but it's just leading back to FIS that they're the 'source' of it. Of course there are many successful kids, but when you ask an international school kid what goes on in FIS, how the people are like (they're quite chilled, some care about their work but those who go out etc don't), rumors and what had happened...drama, then I'm pretty sure they're gonna say the same as me. Don't take it the wrong way that this school is COMPLETELY bad. Their education may be good in some aspects but perhaps you should take it from someone whose family, friends and siblings are studying in that school/international schools. You may have a general view of that, and I'm not saying I'm any god or anything with this, but maybe it's better to take it from an international school kid's view...

Anyway, I don't want to debate because that's what I've said and maybe you should use your knowledge of FIS and express here yourself. I'd appreciate it if you'd just read it and leave it. If prelei has any more questions, maybe your questions too, you can contact my siblings and ask them yourself. Or even my parents, if you're really that concerned. Or maybe, you could ask my French tutor who teaches there and tells me all about it:).

redenae is offline Registered User

And I'm speaking for the secondary section. Lots of kids that I know of have transferred to my school, South Island. I've been here for 6 years and I've seen FIS kids come and go. Perhaps you should camp out their campus and count how many kids sneak out for a smoke and perhaps tell me otherwise that parents and others who have seen and heard aren't worried about this.

carang is offline Registered User

redanae... if you read my post, you would see that i don't have any knowledge of what you have described. that's why i asked questions. i never said you were wrong, either. only that i'd not heard such complaints before.

if one isn't allowed to question, then what is the point of a forum? i thought that was the whole point of forums. to ask questions and have them answered with people's experience.

as for kids sneaking out for a smoke in secondary school? i don't think that is limited to FIS, neither is underage drinking. I know when i grew up and attended a great high school in canada, the same things happened. to me, what matters is not what the other kids do, it is what your kids do.

ps> if you had said that you had siblings there and personal experience, that would have answered many of my questions.

Last edited by carang; 07-05-2012 at 07:20 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

forgot to say, redanae, thank you for coming back and answering some of my questions. i appreciate it.

nakayla333 is offline Registered User

Hello,

I would like to give you my personal advice as I am a FIS student myself. During Primary, there are no tests and the children are not graded severely. There isn't a heavy homework load and it is true that the primary mandarin standards are not very high. However, the teachers are very likable and there is a strong link of communication between teachers and parents. Secondary is very different, there is a lot of homework and tests. For the first two years of Secondary, the teachers start to build up a foundation in general knowledge of subjects for the students. In the third year, Spanish is introduced and the teachers start preparing the students for the IGCSE course. In the fourth and fifth year, the students enter the IGCSE course and in their last two years they participate in the IB programme.

It must also be taken into consideration that if you want your child to expand in his roots and not only focus on academic studies when he is older but also in subjects such as Design & Technology, Food Tech, Drama, Music etc, FIS Secondary does not provide these subjects for the IGCSE and IB courses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123