Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

My baby can only nap in my arms

jamiexchan is offline Registered User

My baby can only nap in my arms

My baby girl, now 5 months, can only nap in my arms. She is very easily waken up by sounds, and when i put her in her crib, most of the time she will wake up within 10 mins, sometimes when she is really tired, she can nap for 30 mins, very occassionlly. But when she nap in my arms, she will sleep for over 2 hours wiithout waking up.

I don't know if I should try to make her get used to napping in crib, as so far not so successful, and would these short naps bad to her growth? As sleeping is so important to babies. But on the other hand, I don't think it is easy to let her sleep in my arms when she grow heavier and heavier...will babies sleep better as they grow up?

I offered her with pacifiers of different shapes, but she refused...

One interesting thing is, she sleeps perfectly well in crib from 10:30pm to 6:00am! Waking up just once for milk.

carang is offline Registered User
    the only way for her to learn how to do it is to teach her.... stay in the room with her. pat her back and comfort her when she wakes so she'll go back to sleep again.

it's a terrible habit to only sleep in your arms and it will likely only get worse. it's better to deal with it now and not wait until she is a year or more...
    southside852 likes this.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Carang. Teach her now, the longer you wait the more difficult it will become. I followed Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, and teaching your child to fall and stay asleep by themselves is referred to as Method A. It's a helpful book and I highly recommend it. Got excellent, well sleep trained children. You have to make sure you put her in the crib awake, but sleepy/drowsy, then she'll learn how to fall asleep by herself. Good luck.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Reading this post makes me think about when my LO was 0-3 months old and would only nap in my arms or in a sling. I enjoyed it very much until she began to nap terribly even in my arms! I completely agree with carang. It'll take a few days to teach her to nap in her own bassinet or crib. Put her down drowsy, rock her for a few minutes, or nurse her just to the point of drowsiness. If she cries and protests, pat her back and say some comforting words. If she becomes distressed, pick her up, calm her down and put her straight back down as soon as she stops crying. Rinse and repeat. Eventually she'll fall asleep. She may continue to take short naps in this manner, but within a week or two, she'll probably learn to take longer naps on her own.
    shwetakhanna likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    You will have to get her to sleep on her own.
    She's a cute, tiny, 5-month-old now. But if you don't change her, time will fly, and you will soon have a back-breaking, strong toddler who refuses to sleep anywhere but on you. I mean back-breaking literally. This happened to a friend whose child is 1.5 years. And her helper just went to the hospital with spine pain.
    I held and rocked by baby to sleep the first few months, and let her sleep in my arms.
    But I started cutting back when she was 3-4 months.
    She will be unhappy at first. You may have to endure some crying. She may skip a few naps in the beginning.
    But do pick up / put down and hush / pat. Have patience, and soon she will learn.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    BTW -- congrats on the great nighttime sleeping habits though! Wow.

charade is offline Registered User
    A slightly different perspective... both my babies are/were rocked to sleep and slept on someone quite a bit. I noticed that it did get better with time. Like around 3 months we started trying to put them down for a nap and they were able to do at least one long stretch on their own. Sometimes they would wake up, cry, we would rock them, put them down again. But if they kept waking up and crying, we'd let them sleep on us. Gradually, they started sleeping more and more on their own. My five-month-old sleeps one long nap in the afternoon on ehr own now, and half-an-hour or so in the morning and maybe longer. It varies, though generally at least one long nap on her own. And like yours, she is a great sleeper at night.

We went with this because it was manageable for us, the adults in the house. I have two helpers, one of whom is more or less exclusively dedicated to caring for my baby. A couple of days ago, I raised the idea of being more insistent about my baby taking all her naps on her own and noone wanted to do it. My helpers were the most reluctant, basically they think it's normal for babies to be rocked to sleep, wake up multiple times at night etc. The attitude is the same in my home country, India, where many many people don't sleep train.

My son, who is now 18 months, was a much worse sleeper than my baby girl. He had reflux so initially there was a medical reason and once he outgrew that, it was habit. But from his experience, we know that usually babies just get better at sleeping on their own as they grow. At some point, on his own, my son no longer wanted to be rocked. Now we have to hum and pat him and he goes to sleep. It could take half an hour. But we're okay with that, although it's probably not in the sleep training manuals.

Again, this worked for us. Everyone in our house didn't feel enthused about doing it any other way. And my babies did take at least one long nap down in the day so that helped the primary caregiver.

In your case, seems like it's too much for you, especially as you don't even get one break in the day. So yeah, maybe you might have to force the issue with your little one.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Different approach for different people. I agree with Charade, and also agree with the other posters as well. Most people would say that you need to correct the behavior before it turns into a bad habit, but sometime the behavior get corrected by itself.

I don't remember well, but at some point, I was also concerned that my baby might not be getting enough sleep. I ended up letting him sleep on my bed, sometime laying next to him till he fall asleep, and even laying back next to him and pretending to be asleep when he seems to be waking up (for naps). He (23 month old now) is still not the best sleeper, but can fall asleep by himself, specially when we offer him his pacifier (we are in the process of weaning his pacifier now). I know that my helper would still rock him to sleep (even when I told her to try not to do so... somehow indo helpers seem to like rocking/carrying the baby around), but luckily, that didn't turn into a bad habit as he doesn't need us to do that for him...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast