Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Kingston international kindergarten and tutor time

carang is offline Registered User
    but beware: it might not come down to which school you like, but which school has space.

Zergmei is offline Registered User
    Tutortime is great! Tried many playgroups and pre nurseries. Tutortime is the best so far.

YCIS is cantonese + english for the pre-nursery (3 yr old class) so although we got accepted, we changed our minds.
    Would avoid it at all costs as its more for locals who do not intend to send their kids to the other international schools.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergmei View Post
    YCIS is cantonese + english for the pre-nursery (3 yr old class) so although we got accepted, we changed our minds. Would avoid it at all costs as its more for locals who do not intend to send their kids to the other international schools.
    YCIS is an excellent school for parents who would like their children to receive multi-lingual thru train education on Kowloon side and obviously unsuitable for those that prefer to keep their kids in a monolingual environment and plan on hopping schools
    Having said that it is certainly not for locals and welcomes everyone; if you visit the school you will find more than a few yellow headed round eyed kids.

joannevv is offline Registered User
    My daughter is now at TT and Victoria. Frankly I love TT coz the teachers are really great. Even though many of my friends keep saying that Victoria is super popular, etc.
    But my daugther is only 15M and so the playgroup is really good but unsure about the kindergarten and all. Why just consider these two though??

fafreak is offline Registered User
    both my little ones (ages 29 mo and 14 mo) are at TT in Kowloon Tong Suffolk campus and we are happy!! they love their teachers, come home with gobs of art work, and are generally learning. My son, the older of the two, has any number of Mandarin songs memorized, whereas my daughter now says "ah" at every letter of the alphabet. TT is US based so should be easy for them to transition into a US school later. Like you, we are American and I'll be honest - the Mandarin seems fine to us but since we don't speak it, we perhaps aren't the best judges. The English teachers are from the US and the Mandarin teachers are native speakers. I get weekly updates from their teachers about what they've been up to. If you PM me, I can send next week's updates to you as a sample.

As others have noted, it may be hard to get spots in any of these schools as admissions have already started. Also, at that age, proximity to home really matters - a 1 hour trip each way for a 1.5 hour class makes for a long morning. Our son is moving into the pre-school, which doesn't require adult attendance as well, and we are having our helper do the marketing while he's in class as its probably not worth her time to come home.
    Kmami likes this.

Here's a sample of a weekly update I get for my son from TT:

TAG Weekly Newsletter July 3rd - 6th, 2012

Tutor Time International Nursery & Kindergarten

Date: July 3 – 6, 2012

Dear Parents,

Last week, we explored and learned about Frogs. This last week, we also read the books, 5 Green and Speckled Frogs and In the Small, Small Pond. Each book incorporated frogs in it, and I feel that the students enjoyed both of these books, and demonstrated good focus while we read them during circle time.

The book 5 Green and Speckled Frogs was fun to read in class because while reading it, we counted and watched as the 'frogs on the log' jumped into the 'cool pool' of water; and this book was a good interactive reading experience for the students. Additionally, I was very happy that the majority of my students could say not only "frogs," but also "big frog," "small frog" and "green frog" as well.

This next week in class, for the third week of July, we will explore the weekly theme, "Beach Day," with elements relating to the beach, ocean, sand, etc. I chose this weekly classroom theme as we will be having our annual Tutor Time Beach Day this Friday the 13th of July, and I felt that it would be a good way to support and solidify the children's learning experience, and help them to familiarize themselves with the beach elements.

This last week in class, we practiced our throwing and catching, and also kicking sports balls. We practiced our counting, our color identification and our fine motor skills as we played with the frogs on the log. We also practiced jumping or hopping like a frog.

During our art activities, we first learned about frogs and that they were green, by using our green crayon and coloring in the frog green. Secondly, we continued to focus on the frogs and the color green, by using green cotton balls and clothespins to sponge paint the frogs with green paint. I feel that the students really enjoy painting this way, as it is relatively easy for them to control and do by themselves, and it also produces nice works of art.

Inside our sensory table last week, the students learned that frogs live on both land and water, so I put the green frogs inside the sensory table with the green classroom plant and a bowl of water. The students were encouraged to find the frogs inside the plant, and put them in the water, or take the frogs from the water and put them in the green plant. Also inside last week's sensory table, we went fishing with our nets for green frogs. Although there were different water animals inside the sensory table, the students were encouraged to "scoop" up a big and a small green frog. The students did very well with this activity, and I feel that they really enjoy the experience of exploring with water inside the sensory table.

I look forward to this week's 'Beach Day' classroom theme, and I believe we will have a great time at Clear Water Bay beach this Friday. Also, if you are planning on participating in the Summer Concert on the 19th of July, please continue practicing our respective concert songs at home with your child.

Summer Concert Songs
    Knaan - WAVE YOUR FLAG
    The Wiggles - WIGGLE GROOVE
    Disney - UNDER THE SEA

Kind regards,
    Mr. XXX

親子班週報告 二零一二年七月三日至七月六日

多 多 國 際 幼 兒 園 (沙 福 分 校)

日期:二零一二年七月三日至七月六日

一、語言發展方面
    這個星期我們繼續認識白天與黑夜,老師出示白天與黑夜的背景圖,讓幼兒分別將太陽、雲朵貼在白天背景圖上, 將月亮和星星貼在黑夜背景圖上;老師向幼兒介紹一些白天與黑夜的活動,跟幼兒玩白天與黑夜的遊戲。幼兒學說 :“白天”、“黑夜”。

1. Language Development
    - This week, we continued to learn about the daytime and the nighttime.
    - Teacher showed us two background pictures of daytime and nighttime. We stuck the sun and the cloud on the daytime picture and stuck the moon and the starts on the nighttime picture.
    - Teacher told us some activities in daytime and nighttime and then played these activities with us.
    - We learnt to say “Daytime” and “Nighttime” in Mandarin.

二、認知發展方面
    老師講故事《小松鼠和小松果》、《小老鼠照鏡子》,告訴幼兒不要隨便說不喜歡別人,願意交朋友;同時不要學 小老鼠那樣不自量力、自高自大。

2. Cognitive Development
    - Story we read this week: and .
    - Teacher taught us that we could not say we don’t like others. We should make more friends.
    - Teacher also told us that we could not be arrogant liked the mouse in the story.

三、大小肌肉發展方面
    感官桌子裡有水,水里有魚魚,幼兒用小籃子撈魚魚;感官桌裡放一些乒乓球,幼兒用勺子將乒乓球舀起來,並放 進小碗裡;幼兒學習穿吸管;提供一些絲巾給幼兒,幼兒將絲巾往上拋,並將絲巾接住。

3. Physical Development
    - Teacher put some water and fishes in the sensory table. We caught the fished with a small basket.
    - Teacher put some ping pongs in the sensory table. We scooped up the balls with a spoon and then put it into a bowl.
    - We learnt to use straw to drink.
    - Teacher provided us a scarf. We threw it up and then caught it back.

四、社會情緒發展方面
    提供大畫紙和印模給幼兒,幼兒用印模蘸顏色在畫紙上印畫;幼兒用海綿滾筒在畫紙上滾畫;畫紙放進盤子裡,幼 兒用乒乓球蘸顏色並放進盤子裡,讓後端起盤子,用乒乓球滾畫。

4. Social Emotional Development
    - Teacher provided us a large drawing paper and some stamps. We dipped the stamps with paint and then used it to create a picture.
    - We used a sponge roll to create a picture.
    - We put a drawing paper and a ping pong with paint into a tray and then moved the tray to different sides to create a picture.

Miss XXXX
    Kmami likes this.

And here's a sample from the tiny tots class my daughter was in at Baby Buddies before she turned 1 year old and went to TT

Tiny Tots Newsletter 30th- 4th Feburary
    We hope that Tiny Tots enjoyed Chinese New Year holidays and everyone is well rested and ready for our fun and exciting activities planned this term!
    Last term we explored the book ‘Polar bear, polar bear, what do you hear?’. Both XXX and XXX have been very keen to try the different texture play and have produced beautiful artwork which has been displayed on the windows in the classroom for everyone to see! XXX and XXX are also starting to really enjoy our Baby Massage! The baby massage is a great way to teach our children body awareness and stimulate them all at the same time! Below is the link to photobucket where you will find some photos from the last week before the holiday at Baby Buddies.
    http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...0th%20January/

This term we are moving onto a new topic and story which is ‘From head to toe’. We will be exploring lots of different animals and body parts as well as exciting new arts and craft and textures! Please find attached this month’s lesson plan and a link to photobucket with photos from this week’s class.
    http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...rd%20Feburary/
    Best Wishes,
    Diane, Alice and Alison

carang is offline Registered User
    fafreak: do you attend these classes with your children?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast