Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Am I stuck with my OBGYN?

SLPmom is offline Registered User

Am I stuck with my OBGYN?

I am seeing a very well regarded OBGYN in central and I absolutely despise him. He has horrible bed side manner, pressured me to consider terminating a pregnancy before the test results came back for a condition I ended up not having, allowed his 5 year old son to walk into our exam room during my appointment (I was mostly covered but unclothed) and did not apologize, and has been overall unsupportive and truly unkind during a difficult pregnancy. Every time I speak to him or see him I feel more depressed.

I would really like to switch doctors, but being 12 weeks along, I am under the impression that no other private doctor will take me. I have considered separating from my husband for the next 6 months to move back to the United States, in order to see a different doctor.

Am I stuck with my current doctor or does anyone know of other private doctors taking new patients.

Thanks so much.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    You should have no problem finding a better obgen. One issue is the hospital booking, which may not be transferable. You need to choose between the stress of seeing this guy vs. the stress of changing bookings. 12 weeks doesn't sounds too late to find a new obgen to me!

sfolola is offline Registered User
    I don't see any reason why you can't change doctors, unless your hospital booking for delivery is dependent on him. I have traveled all through my pregnancy and seen OB-GYN's in 3 cities. It's really important to feel comfortable with your doctor.

charade is offline Registered User
    It sounds like you need to switch doctors. I don't think 12 weeks is too far along. I think there would be less popular doctors who would take you on.

If you're delivering in a public hospital and just seeing this doctor for support, then you have lots of possibilities.

If you're delivering private and booked the hospital through this doctor then maybe a little trickier. Nevertheless, my understanding would be that the booking is made in your name so you would need to see which other doctors deliver at that hospital, check which of them can take you (you can explain you have a hospital booking already but would like to switch doctors) and go from there. I think there was a thread in a past about keeping the hospital booking but switching doctors at Mathilda. I'm sure it's possible.
    elle likes this.

SLPmom is offline Registered User
    Thank you for the replies. I was told by my current Dr.'s office that they handle the booking (Matilda) and I didn't know any better to try and make the booking on my own. I have called them every week including today (as I put the request in 9 weeks ago) and they said they still don't have a confirmed bed for me.

I called Lucy Lord's office and they will see me but made it clear I probably won't get a hospital bed and Patrick Chan's office told me they won't see me because all of his beds are filled for December and January. I don't need to deliver in a private hospital (though I would prefer it) but am having a complicated pregnancy so I am worried about choosing a less popular doctor.

I will continue to call every doctor I can find but I think I may just have to move home :/

Again, thanks so much for the replies.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    There are plenty of competent obgens, in both the public and private system. There is really no need to go back to America to give birth - try not to worry! The fact you don't have a confirmed booking makes it easier too, you have far less barriers to switching doctors.

I would think the stress of moving, and being away from your husband is very much a last resort, not something that needs to be considered at this stage.

charade is offline Registered User
    Though I can understand not wanting to go from Matilda (if that's what you can afford) to public. But I would keep trying, calling all docs. Have you tried Dr. Ghosh? (he's also one of the busy ones, but I would just do the rounds before giving up).

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Dr Ghosh is excellent - and I bet he can get you a bed at the Matilda.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast