Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Application Help Needed

nltempany is offline Registered User

Application Help Needed

Hello,

I am an Australian Expat living in Tai Kok Tsui. I would like my children to have a local based education and have decided to apply to PLK and St Margarets. Both are English Medium Instruction Local Schools.

PLK does not accept folio's or letters of recommendation but St Margaret's does. This is the first time I have had to do prepare a school application and I have several questions,

1. What sorts of things should I include in my daughters portfolio?

2. What specific things do the teachers most want to know about prospective students? (eg. Social confidence, life or world experience, handwriting skills etc). Or in other words, what areas of development should I focus on?

3. What sorts of Math equations is a 7 year old or new P2 student supposed to be able to do?

4. Am I being realistic? My daughter has always excelled but it seems like everyone excels in HK and school places are so hard to find that I wonder if she would really have a chance?

I would appreciate your advice.

N

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    1) Activities and achivements : Has she done Music, Ballet, Dancing etc? Sports and similar activities? Did she join a scout or GirlGuides troop? Does she attend mass or sunday school regularly? They are looking for/at various activities that show a balanced and rounded kid.

2) No idea on this.

3) Go to any book store and look at grade1 or grade2 study & exercise guides. Every book store will have a selection tailored to HK curriculum

4) Realistic? As long as your LO is normal (no developmental or learning issues) she'll do fine

carang is offline Registered User
    if your little one is up to it, i would have her draw a couple of pictures and then write underneath telling a story or writing about the picture.

my son is at the end of P1: he is doing addition & subtraction such as: 76-49=, 35+46+23= (those are the most difficult types, including borrowing and carrying), knows how to tell time, and is working on counting hk money

other than that, what HC says is pretty much right on.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Wow - Cara, that looks like complicated addition and subtraction for a 5 year old. Do you think that your child's school is stronger in maths/expects more than the ESF syllabus? I don't recall doing anything this complicated in P1 but it was a while ago ... :)

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Local Hong Kong schools are anywhere from .5-2 years ahead in Maths when compared to ESF & international schools during primary years.
    They tend to even out when they reach secondary years but overall, HK curriculum is quite strong and rigid when it comes to math.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I know a 4yo (a swim buddy of my son) who knows multiplication (and division) already!

I wouldn't have believed it except I tested him with 4x3 and he did it in his head! I know he goes to a local kindie but I was still taken back!

And here I was, proud that my own 4yo (at ESF) can do double digit adding. A wholly humbling experience, that was...

carang is offline Registered User
    no, my son is 7, he is in P1 in a local school....but almost P2, which is what the OP asked about... not for 5 year olds...

my nephew, who is in Grade 1 in canada (only 9 months younger than my son) and he is doing addition up to 10...subtraction from 10.... and telling time.

my son also loves to read, but isn't onto chapter books yet. he is about on par with what they would be doing in canada.
    Last edited by carang; 06-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.

liumi is offline Registered User

Red face Extra Curricular Activities

Hello, I just read your msg, here are some activities centre located in Tai Kok Tsui, maybe you can visit it with your children to gain more experience during their childhood.

Glamor Ballet School, G&R Dance Studio, Man Loong Record, Music Kes West, Tin Lai Records...

Hope it can help you...