Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Art classes for kids

carpenter is offline Registered User

Art classes for kids

My son loves arts, however, we have tried a number of art centers. To be honest, I am tired of seeing every kids finishes classes with the same products. Worse, my son said the teachers DO the works for him at some center. i.e. the teachers help him to "modify" his drawing by painting the eyes on the panda correctly, adding "beautiful" clouds to the background.

Would love to know if there are real classes where kids can truely explore and work on their own with guidance only.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Have you tried little Picasso in ap lei chau? My son is really happy there. (I'm not sure how much guidance the teacher gives them as I'm at work when he attends).

mummymoo is offline Registered User

The Russian Art Academy in Happy Valley is pretty good, they clearly don't do the painting for my LO as she comes home with giant blobs of paint on a canvas - clearly her own doing!

crew is offline Registered User

My 6 year old son is having art classes at Jungleroo, Coda Plaza, Macdonell Road. The teacher is very experienced, she explains the techniques for the works, and let the kids explore in their own way without doing any works for the kids. She hand out sketch books for the kids to take home, she ask my son to draw any thing that comes to his mind in the sketch book throughout the week. She will also take pictures on the kids products, art drawing, clay works, and print them out to let the kids stick it in the sketch book. For me, this is not only an art classes, but guiding my son through an art exploration. My son always one back home and look at his sketch book, tell me how he comes up with different ideas. I strongly recommend you have a look at Jungleroo. It is one of the few kids center that does not put commercial on the first place, but really focus on kids. They also have Mandarin classes, and English play groups.

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations, I checked out Jungleroo, because I live in mid-levels. Lucky me, I was there when they were having the art class. I stayed there for quite some time, the teacher really did not do the works for the kids. The kids were having fun creating the own piece of art work while the teacher give some comments. I wasn't just looking through their big window, so I did not know the conversation.

There was a play group along side. the little kiddies were "running" around the grass jungle with the teacher. Think that is just perfect timing, I can have both my 3 and 5 years old enrolled in classes together. I will take my kids for a trial classes next week.

wanyin is offline Registered User

yes, Jungleroo have pretty good teachers, I love their big "forest"

I signed up my son for the art classes at Jungleroo, he is pretty excited as the class will start this thursday. and my 3 yr old will be taking their mandarin playgroup. alongside I have them both attending the sibling class. I am now set for the summer at least!

jenc is offline Registered User

my first post - this forum is great! we just moved to hk and i was looking around for activities for my 5 year old when i saw this. we did a trial class at jungleroo (the other two seemed too far so until I find my way around...) and my son said he had a lot of fun so i signed him up. as crew mentioned, he got a sketch book to take home and i was surprised that he was given photos of what he did at the trial class to stick into his book for the second class. the teacher said it's to help them learn and focus on the process. and true enough, he kept looking at the pictures at home and recounting what he did in classes.

crew - thanks for the recommendation