Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Another postpartum weight loss thread

evgreen is offline Registered User

Another postpartum weight loss thread

9 months on, 9 months off, right? WRONG! LO is 9 months in two weeks and I still have 15lbs to lose of the 35lbs which I gained during pregnancy. I've been breastfeeding, watching what I eat and going to the gym 3-4 times per week and running 5k each time. Although the exercise has toned up my body (no more bulging belly), this stubborn weight just doesn't want to budge.

I have this nagging feeling that I'm just one of those mommies that won't lose the weight until my LO is completely weaned (not sure when that will be??) and I have this fear that the weight won't disappear even after I wean!

Anyone else have trouble holding onto weight while breastfeeding? Did it magically melt off when you weaned or did it take a lot of effort?

Cherina is offline Registered User
    I think everyone's different, for some people breastfeeding makes them lose weight for others it doesn't work like that. Also, as we get older our bodies age and change whether or not we have children.
    Sounds like you're taking good care of yourself and getting back in shape, it could be that the extra 15lb you're carrying is more muscle than you had before. If you do want to get a leaner shape you could try running longer distances (although I know it's difficult to find the time!)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Mine magically came off with breast feeding but it's different for everyone. From what your workout schedule sounds like, it seems like you're burning fat and gaining muscle instead. Muscle weight is HiGHER than that of fat so your overall body weight could literally go UP if you work out and do weights cause youre burning fat and gaining muscle. What you really should look into doing is seeing if your BMI (body mass index I believe) is within the appropriate range and if not working towards that goal. If you don't want muscle mass and just burn fat then do more cardio workouts and you will get less muscle build up (still get some) and majority will be fat reduction. Hope this makes sense. Just don't want you to get worried about the wrong numbers.

The most weight I've ever gained from working out is 4lbs (pre-pregnancy). So even taking that into account, there's another 10-11lbs of body fat still sitting around. I guess it's not that bad, but I'd REALLY like to fit into all my old clothes again *sigh*.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I gained weight right after stopping breast feeding so I had to be extra extra careful after I stopped. I agree with everyone else that no two epople are alike so you may drop the weight once you stop breast feeding.......good luck

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    ive recently been hooked onto http://www.bodyrock.tv/ just watching the workout makes me sweat! it's a series of very intense workout sets that's just 12mins. i do run everyday but find it monotonous after awhile. so i try to do 30min of running with 12 mins of body rock every other day. every other day because my core muscles ache the day after i do the workouts :S

they've a new host lisa marie - i cant keep up with her. but you can search on youtube the last trainer, Zuzana. she breaks the workout down to more manageable bits.

I've watched body rock vids before! I'm really into trying the burpees workouts to build my core. I'll give it a try tonight...heard lots of good things about cross fit training too.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    My daughter is 15 months-old and I have lost a single ounce in the past year. I'm still really overweight. With my son, when I was breastfeeding him, my body clung to all the extra padding but once I stopped about 3 or 4 months later the weight came off more easily. I still had to work out (run) and eat well but there was at least some hope. I am still breastfeeding my daughter so I think the hormones affect things. However, I have toned up and slimmed down and am going down in sizes--just not in weight. Most people couldn't guess by looking at me that my actual weight is as high as it is. So, for me, I've stopped weighing myself. It's counter-productive and doesn't even give a true indication of a person's health or even their size and shape.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast