Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Epidurals in Queen Mary

First timer is offline Registered User

Epidurals in Queen Mary

Hi all
    Has anyone any experiences to share re getting epidural in Queen Mary?

Is there likely to be any difficulty in getting one?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you think you might want it, ask as soon as you go into the delivery room and keep asking. If you change your mind, you can always say no later.

I've had two babies there, had an epidural both times. First time, it took them only about 15-30 min, the 2nd time was more like an hour. I have heard of it being longer and harder, it probably depends on many factors. But in general if you ask early and often, you'll have a better chance of getting one.

BeaMae is offline Registered User
    I delivered there and did not know you had to ask for it early. I asked going into the delivery room and was told it was too late. You have to ask as soon as you check in. Whether you get it will depend on how fast you are progressing and if there is someone available to administer it. So the earlier you ask the better, ask when you register, and confirm with the nurses or midwife that someone has been notified.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    The first time, I asked when we got to the delivery room to start my induction. There was time and I got one no problem. The second time, I was getting one but the doctor kept hitting my nerves on both sides and told me she would have to get the other doctor. Then it was too late! Baby was coming out!

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    It'll come down to stage of labour and availability of anaethetist.

They dont like giving them too late in dilation, as it can cause problems with delivery if you can't feel to push (because it's more effective if you can push with the contractions- if you can't feel the contractions, then it's obviously harder to time your efforts).

Also, the anaethetists might be tied up in surgery in which case there may be a wait so I'd second advice to ask early- you can always send them away if you've changed your mind when they show up.

If you want one, be insistent and make sure that your birth partner is also insistent.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    I asked for an epidural quite late (after 10 hours of labour). The anesthetist was available but because I had hypertension they had to run a blood test before they could give me the epidural. I had to wait an hour for the results before I could get one. So if you have a high blood pressure, ask them for the test beforehand.