Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

IVF embryo transfer & bed rest

Liquorice is offline Registered User

IVF embryo transfer & bed rest

Has anyone been advised bed rest after embryo transfer by their doctor here? My doctor doesn't think it's necessary at all, but I have seen forums in the US and Canada where some doctors seem to be recommending a few days bed rest as a matter of course (1day +).

Interested in others' experience and what they have been advised. With 3 failed embryo transfers behind me (and one successful!) I want to do everything I can to enhance my chances this time.

Anybody?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    My doctor here told me to take a day's bed rest after IVF, but he was paranoid about everything. Even during the lead-up, he was upset that I was going to work!
    So I did some reading, and I couldn't find any hard evidence that bed rest makes a difference one way or another. The embryo is put so far in that no casual movement is going to dislodge it. I think IVF is just a gamble -- either it wants to implant properly or it doesn't.
    Of course, I don't think you should be doing handstands or horseback riding or something!
    But I also feel my doctor was ridiculous when, many hours after the procedure, he didn't even want me to get up to get a glass or water or go to the toilet. (Which I did, because the nurse there was sane).
    The next day I went to work as usual. In my personal experience, having something to keep my mind off it was better and more relaxing than lying flat on my back in a hospital bed worried and bored.
    Anyway, moving around normally worked for me!
    Good luck! :)

alfa is offline Registered User
    I went to work the same afternoon and it worked. previous two attemppts I was taking it easy staying at home etc and it didn't so not sure it makes any difference. I would avoid heavy exercise, swimming and intercourse for a day or two. Best of luck!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks both. I completely agree with taking your mind off it. The first time I did IVF I took two weeks off work; the cycle failed. The second time I went back to work the next day and it succeeded! Not working now so too much time to over think and analyze everything!