Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Need your extra Breast Milk for my tinee tiny..

rnih is offline Registered User

Need your extra Breast Milk for my tinee tiny..

I've seen old posts about ladies wanting to donate their extra milk production to a milk bank, but since HK doesn't have a system, some do so directly. If you are healthy, willing and able I would love to get your extra BM for my baby girl.
    I tried for 16 weeks to breast feed my baby. I had always wanted to breast feed. My baby lost a lot of weight after her birth due to my low milk supply. After weeks of constant feedings, pumping, taking supplements, multiple meetings with lactation consultant I was still not producing enough milk for my baby, and she's always distressed at feeding times and I have now needed to mix feed in order for her to be adequately fed, but she's now 5 months old and 3month clothes still fit her loose :( . I have such low milk supply due to major breast surgery I had 7 years ago..so that I was able to produce any milk at all was a surprise miracle..but it never got to the thick, creamy rich milk that really is best for babies' growth and immune system..

So, I'm on here hoping a few of you with little ones (4-5months old, I read it's best to get milk from same age group) might be overproducing and hate having the precious milk go to waste. Please contact me if you can help!

Gataloca is offline Registered User

There is no need to stress out. You can always supplement with formula. It might be as good as breast milk.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

Look, you've done your best, you've done a great job, but I think you're taking it a little too seriously. Formula isn't poison. I'm a big proponent of breastfeeding - I struggled to feed my first born who had a tongue tie. After three months, I started to add in bottles of formula and I did feel I'd 'failed' - but he was so much healthier and had better weight gain. I basically had to swallow my pride and accept that my dream of breastfeeding for a year was going out of the window. In the end, I stopped at 6 mths and was happy with my decision.
    I exclusively breastfed baby 2 for 20 months! And baby 3 for 8 months. I hope to BF baby 4, but I've learned that what's best for baby and best for mum is 'whatever works'. If that's formula, then please embrace it. There's no shame. You haven't failed (except perhaps in your own eyes if you have certain expectations of motherhood). You honestly will be much happier if you switch to formula, or at least make formula a larger part of your baby's diet. If you enjoy the closeness of breastfeeding, then try to continue that as the first feed and last feed of the day, or as the night feed, but I really wouldn't advise going looking for milk donations. It's just not necessary, in my opinion.

Best of luck!

carang likes this.

carang is offline Registered User

or why not bottle feed formula with your shirt removed (only at home, of course! ;) )... that way you still get the skin on skin but you can give your baby what will make her thrive.

honestly, women put entirely too much pressure on themselves to (1) have the perfect pregnancy-- eat/drink only the "right" stuff then (2) have the perfect birth experience (be it a c-section or all natural, no drugs) then (3) breastfeed exclusively and for longer and longer periods of time .... but it doesn't end there.... then they must (4) ensure their kids attend the proper pre-school classes then (5) get into the "best" schools ... it just never ends.

really... from what i can tell, when i look at my friends, i have no idea if they were bottle or breastfed when they were babies. while feeding your child is important, it is not the only thing and in the long run, whatever works for the entire family is the right thing. not whether you chose one thing or antoher.

rebekah is offline Registered User

I'm willing to donate after i return from holiday...but have no stash to pass immediately

Lali07 likes this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

While I agree in theory with some of the above posts, I also think that it's not wrong to feed your child milk from a milk bank etc as long as you make sure that the necessary health precautions are taken. Just as immunity can be transferred via milk, so can some infectious diseases, including AIDS. If you are in a country with an official milk bank, the mothers are screened for such viruses - but if you are taking milk from a stranger, you do not necessarily have that assurance.

I had an oversupply when I was pumping and would have gladly passed it on to someone, if anyone wanted it. Many mothers would prefer to give their child breastmilk rather than formula for a variety of reasons - and there is no shame in that either.

carang and slin like this.

carang is offline Registered User

i agree with you wholeheartedly, nicolejoy...

without proper screening of the milk, how would one know that the milk is safe?

rnih is offline Registered User

Thanks rebekah! I've sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast