Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

What do you wish you could have brought to Hong Kong?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    All kinds of good advice from Thanka2 except for the quote above.
    HKG is 220V while USA is 110. For anything that has big heater&motor, you will need a big transformer to change the voltage. These beasts are big and ugly at best and can be dangerious and unsafe at worst.
    If your appliance is dual voltage (most electronics and computers etc are) then by all means bring them.
    Most motorized appliances will not be dual voltage and I would recommend selling or donating them. Bringing those here will not be very practical.

https://www.google.com/search?q=110+...NsalrQHunfHJBQ
    We just changed the adapter on our appliances using a 220v camera adapter and haven't had any problems. Not dangerous. Not bulky or scary and also not expensive--just have to know how to do it. :)

Friends had an awesome HUGE plasma flatscreen they used here in HK that was from the States and had no problem finding suitable adapters either. But, yes, it's good to bring up the issue of different voltage...because you definitely don't want to fry your electric stuff.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    We just changed the adapter on our appliances using a 220v camera adapter and haven't had any problems. Not dangerous. Not bulky or scary and also not expensive--just have to know how to do it. :)
    I know exactly how to do it but it is clear from your response that you dont. Camera adapters are very different than transformers that are required for large motorized appliances that draw a lot of AMPS such as the ones you listed (Mixers, bread makers etc).
    Here is an Australian website, equally applicable to Hong Kong. Pay special attention to the AMPS and motors discussion within:
    http://www.tortech.com.au/stepdown.html

Friends had an awesome HUGE plasma flatscreen they used here in HK that was from the States and had no problem finding suitable adapters either. But, yes, it's good to bring up the issue of different voltage...because you definitely don't want to fry your electric stuff.
    Flatscreen is not an issue voltage wise as it has no moving parts but may have other issues especially tuner related (PAL vs NTSC) that needs to be investigated.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    I saw these huge boxes of goldfish crackers (cheddar cheese or something) and I'm pretty sure it's from the US at 360, so if it's the same thing, your son is set. I'll have a look and confirm the name next time I go.
    Yes, they're Pepperidge Farm goldfish in cheddar flavour in the 58 oz size. The price was good too. The regular size and other flavours are available in the supermarket.

carang is offline Registered User

i wish i could have brought my mum.... do you think you could fit her in your container? :)

shwetakhanna and thanka2 like this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

I agree with Cara, the one thing I wish I could have brought along to HK was my family and best friends. All the other stuff esp food you can buy in HK at a cost and with some leg work, also for candy online ordering is becoming more and more accessible, and in terms of snacks and foods, after a while your palate will adapt. I know mine did, I found myself shaking my head when I would go back to Australia at Christmas time and be served those really sour pineapples at BBQs because the pineapples here are delicious!
    I agree with others though that clothes and baby stuff esp strollers/portacots ect are way cheaper in the US and as we travel a fair bit we always buy those items when we head states side.

bkrent is offline Registered User

This has been enormously helpful. I can't thank all of you enough! Given that I have two wee ones and will not be all that mobile for awhile, I think I will try to bring a few staples as well as goodies things over in bulk. (just thought of another - the shampoo that does not cause me an allergy flare up!)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymoo View Post
    I agree with Cara, the one thing I wish I could have brought along to HK was my family and best friends. All the other stuff esp food you can buy in HK at a cost and with some leg work, also for candy online ordering is becoming more and more accessible, and in terms of snacks and foods, after a while your palate will adapt. I know mine did, I found myself shaking my head when I would go back to Australia at Christmas time and be served those really sour pineapples at BBQs because the pineapples here are delicious!
    I agree with others though that clothes and baby stuff esp strollers/portacots ect are way cheaper in the US and as we travel a fair bit we always buy those items when we head states side.
    Great point made here, I think. Your palate WILL ADAPT. And isn't that part of the reason why people go overseas? Some expats come to Hong Kong and experience little of the culture because they can get the "creature comforts" they are used to. But, if you are more adventurous you'll experience foods (and many other things) that will be sometimes even better than what you're used to at home. For example, the AMAZING pineapples. Not expensive. Pre-cut. Available everywhere when they're in-season. Or the beautiful, sweet mangoes. I had never had a good mango before I came to Hong Kong and I didn't even like pineapple (also, because I had never had a good one!) Now we snack on things like nori (seaweed) and things made with sesame seeds and you can get egg tarts, fresh juice, sago, "wife cakes", taro chips, jackfruit (my son LOVES dried jackfruit!). I find that the local snack foods in general have a little more nutrition and health to them than in the States. So, my kids actually don't eat many biscuits (cookies) but recently my son is on a seeds and nuts craze--so he's eating pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and pinenuts as much as I'll let him. So, it's a great opportunity to find yummy new treats. Hong Kong certainly is a foodie's paradise so take full advantage, if you can.

I'm sure other ladies here can suggest their favorite local snackfoods. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

evgreen is offline Registered User

I miss wholefoods and trader joe's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast