Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

What do you wish you could have brought to Hong Kong?

carang is offline Registered User

thanka, our whole family LOVES sago! never heard of it before i came here. i like it with coconut milk & jack fruit (?), kids like it with watermelon juice and daddy likes it every way it can be prepared!

fafreak is offline Registered User

We're from the US and I agree with a lot of the stuff in thanka's original post. Both price and variety-wise, US is better and when we go, I buy a year's worth of clothes for the kids (just hit sales), especially winter-ish stuff, shoes, toys, books (HUGELY expensive and while Amazon does deliver, that comes with higher delivery costs too). I just asked a friend to bring halloween costumes for the little ones (though can depend whether you actually have something to do on halloween). But this is just because I prefer to have the cost savings and greater variety - clothes and toys and books are all available here. Side note- my husband is a fiend for Nyquil and Ibuprofin so its a bit of a "tax" to enter our home. Kids furniture too - we buy for our kids at Ikea, which is fine, but i'm beginning to think my house looks like their catalogue.

We bought new household appliances here, not worth the transformers, but we did buy an international TV as it was still cheaper and we got to use in the US for a while.

Agree on the food front - you can get a lot of stuff here, though at a higher price but how much of that stuff can you really bring and store? Plus, you might as well get used to local stuff.

slin is offline Registered User

i brought almost everything i could from my home country when i first moved here, for simple reason...cost. Some of the items include tv, tv console, washing machine, lots of diapers (yes i like a particular japanese brand which is priced 2-3x higher here), baby parklon playmat, baby FP rocker, toys, books etc. As others have mentioned, all these are available in hk but its more costly here. Since my hubby's coy covered all the moving cost i decided to just get the professional mover to bring everything over for me. For the electrical items - i just got new ones back in my home country so it will be a waste to leave it there and selling it wasn't an option back then. If the voltage is an issue, then don't bother. As for the baby items - baby stuffs are overpriced here and are hardly on sale. So why not ship the necessary items over if you have an option...things like baby crib, stroller, baby carrier, breast pump, FP toys, educational books for baby and toddlers are expensive here! Besides, you will save the hassle of lugging it back from the shops to your apartment....of cos this will not be an issue if you have a car here :)

you brought a washing machine? really? how in the world did you know that you would have space for it?

but i agree, if your company is paying for it, why not?

if you have to pay for it yourself, i would most definitely be bringing the least amount possible.

please remember: i have bought toothpaste for myself once in 17+ years... i bring all of my toothpaste from canada!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Yes, I bought 6 tubes of children's toothpaste from Ireland to get me through to till my next trip.

You can buy normal flavoured (mint, spearmint etc) overpriced children's toothpaste here or buy cola, strawberry, tutti fruity bubblegum flavour at your local store.

Coco123 is offline Registered User

For baby and kids clothes and accessories, www.qnckidshop.com is a good choice.

There are American brandname clothes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123