Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Postpartum hair loss

Lousmum is offline Registered User

Postpartum hair loss

It's been 7 months since I gave birth to my son and 5 months that my hair's been falling out and it appears to be getting worse. I visited a GP and had a blood test. The results were of a positive outcome. My thyroid and iron levels were ok, but I've seen no improvement with from all the supplements that I'm taking. Is this normal? Are there any other moms who've experienced this?

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I lost a lot of hair postpartum for the first six months and should be normal. Unless you're getting bald patches I wouldn't worry so much and your hormones will balance out eventually.

Not so much bald patches, but moreso the aftermath of cows having grazed on one spot for too long. It's well shielded, but bugs the peace out of me.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    I lost hair in tiny chunks until I weaned at 6 months. My second little one is now 4 months and everyday I go nuts seeing all the hair on the floor.

Lav
    Lav is offline Registered User
    I lost hair with my first delivery but it stopped after 4 or so months. With my second delivery i lost A LOT of hair. i was very concerned and took vitamins and saw a doctor but nothing changed. My hair is only growing back now(my daughter is 4 years old)!!!!!!

I never had bald patches; just lost a lot of volume with the daily hairloss. I finally just decided to live with it so am happy to see that its FINALLY growing back!

Hopefully your hormones will balance out soon!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Sounds about right. For all three pregnancies, my hair loss didn't stop (or die down) till 7-8 mths. Didn't matter about diet. It took about 1 year for hair to be "normal" after the stop in hair loss I was starting to grow a fringe...kind if like short grass at the two corners of my head (spot above the eyebrow) looked SO weird!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    It's normal. This happened to me with both post partum. I bought Pantene Anti hair fall & it reduced hair fall but not completely. Eventually, it will stop. I hate to say this but the texture of my hair never got back to its soft, sleek self after giving birth.

Gemma: I can totally relate to having hair everywhere. It's in the fridge, in my son's diaper, in his poo, in my clean laundry, in the bed. Totally depressing!!!
    Lav: 4 years truly is a long time for regrowth
    Lesliefu: I've tried the supplements, hair regrowth supplements and a change of diet, but all I've reaped is rapid hair loss as opposed to minimalisation.
    Newbie: i've just realised I have two textures for my hair. Soft and straight upfront and bushy and tangled in the back. It's like a weave gone wrong!!!

I honestly wish someone had told me what to expect from pregnancy. It goes a whole lot deeper, especially when you're thousands of kilometres from any sensible help. Oh! how I miss my grandmother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast