Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay v Discovery Bay

Mimi2 is offline Registered User

Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay v Discovery Bay

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to HK quite soon and debating between Clearwater Bay area and Discovery Bay and I would be really grateful for some advice on the 2 areas.

DB seems like the easy option as it is small and I assume the 2 clubs are where all the mums and kids meet - is that right? Do families also go to the clubs at the w.e? Do the clubs run the majority of the kiddy classes ( eg ballet,swimming) or are they held in various places? Finally, do you need a golf buggy with small kids?

Does Sai Kung/Clearwater have a similar gym/club scene that is family friendly and not too expensive?

I am trying to work out where it will be easiest for me and the kids to meet other mums and do classes etc and also somewhere where we can go as a family at the w.e.

The thing that is holding me back from DB is the transport options, particularly when you are coming home late.

Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    they are two totally different places. i've lived in both.

(1) not everyone in db is a member of the residents' club. it can get expensive.
    (2) people usually meet at the plaza for drinks/chats more than the clubs.
    (3) you do not "need" a golf buggy, there are only about 500 of them for the entire DB area, and they are now ridiculously priced ($8000/month or so). you can buy a second hand car for that that you can use for all of hk, not just restricted to db, which a buggy is.
    (4) there are all different kinds of classes in db. some are offered in the clubhouse some not.
    (5) sai kung is more of a small town feeling. we don't have a "clubhouse" but we have lots of good, clean public facilities. the public pool costs $17-20/adult and $8-9/child and you only pay for when you want to use it. there is a public library and sports ground, too. there are lots of classes around for kids to take, it just depends on what you are looking for...

forget trying to make a decision now. wait until you are here. go to both places and have a good look around. if you can, see if you can meet up with someone who lives there so they can show you around a bit, to get a better feel for the place.

we have enjoyed both places tremendously.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Cara on DB above.

Classes are mostly held at the clubs but you don't have to be a member to join the classes - you might just pay a bit more than a member. Swim classes at the clubs is now through the Harry Wright company (no longer Aquagym) but Discovery College also holds classes and I think you may be able to find one-off instructors holding classes separately not through the clubs. Ballet/dance is held at the clubs but also at the plaza. Gymnastics at the club I understand. Football classes at a variety of places - DB Dragons club is at DC.

Mummy playdates often at the clubs - eg: the playroom or the swimming pools, but also at the playgrounds and the Plaza. For us the clubs were part of the big drawcard for moving to DB but they are an expense - about $600 a month per adult and then a smaller fee for your helper (if you have one). In summer we literally LIVE at the club pools on the weekend as a family. While your kids are small, the airconditioned playroom is a useful break from the heat in Summer (or the rain).

We don't have a golf cart - they are HK$8K a month which is too much for us. They are great if you can afford it but certainly not a necessity. Otherwise buses are very convenient and cheap $4 a trip. Also there is the 9S bus which now runs from one side of DB to the other (ie: Siena to Coastline) without going to the Plaza which is good. Also there are hire cares - vans which act as taxis - $15 per person anywhere in DB. On transport generally are you meaning coming home from Central late (ie: from work)? If so, yes the ferries are less frequent after midnight but they do run through the night as do the DB buses.

Can't speak about Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay as not lived there but a friend from work lives in Clearwater Bay and transport can also be an issue unless you have a car. Depending on where in Clearwater Bay - there are buses and MTR into Central but the MTR stops at midnight I think. After that, presumably buses and taxis only. If you have a car then more convenient but need to think about cost of car, registration, drivers licences, tolls, petrol and parking. We had a car when we lived in Midlevels 2 years ago (pre DB days) and was good but not cheap to have. I understand Clearwater Bay has a similar clubhouse arrangement to DB where you need to be a member. Someone else may have more info on costs for that. From all accounts Clearwater Bay is also a lovely family friendly area.
    Last edited by starbucks2; 07-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    the only clubhouse in clearwater bay is the Clearwater Bay Golf & Country Club.

i've lived in all three places: clearwater bay 1995-1997, discovery bay 2001-2007, sai kung 2007-present