Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

A Very Expensive Phonics School

sunshine12 is offline Registered User
    That does sound very expensive.....my kids went to a place called SmartChamps Childhood Institute for phonics which is also located in Causeway Bay right opposite SOGO in fact which provides similar services, but for around $600 per hour for a private lessons. For a small group of no more than 3, it's cheaper. The results were great and my daughter who is in P1 can read and write to a very high level, comparable to when I was 10 years old!

Highly recommended for a head start for kids.

wanyin is offline Registered User
    Mejulie, I have found a classmate to form a group lesson. They are having a summer promotion so I am paying a lot less than what I had anticipated :) I actually sat in the free trial lesson and was equally amazed by the teacher and their method . Joined right after the trial . Think they are running summer phonics program for only 250 an hour. Maybe you could try enrolling in those if the time fits your schedule. My son was taught all the letter sounds in 2 classes!!! Good luck to you too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by wanyin View Post
    Mejulie, I have found a classmate to form a group lesson. They are having a summer promotion so I am paying a lot less than what I had anticipated :) I actually sat in the free trial lesson and was equally amazed by the teacher and their method . Joined right after the trial . Think they are running summer phonics program for only 250 an hour. Maybe you could try enrolling in those if the time fits your schedule. My son was taught all the letter sounds in 2 classes!!! Good luck to you too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hi wanyin, called up to ask about the classes, but the lady told me there are no summer classes for phonics, only writing, which is not suitable for my 3 year old. Very strange!
    Spoke w a teacher called Diana on fri, she told me to take my child for assessment. When I tried to make appt for the assessment, the lady on the line, Jane, told me to gather a few other 3 yr olds to form a group before contacting her for the assessment. She said unless I wanted private classes, I cant have a personal assessment for my child. She also told me Diana is not there any more and that perhaps, when Diana was there, she could do the one-on-one assessment.
    When asked how much private classes would cost, she told me hkd14,000 for 20 hrs, which would work out to hkd700 per hr. But I read from your earlier thread that you were quoted hkd1000 for 45 mins.
    It does seem like they are providing very different information and it's very confusing!

Let me check on the summer courses for you. I am pretty sure I saw some phonics courses in their summer pamphlets laid out on the reception desk?! There are 2 or 3 pricing for phonics classes, all depending on which teacher you choose. ( I think)
    Hmm, strange that you were given such confusing information, I did not have the same experience. Going there tomorrow , let me spy around and see what I can find out re their free assessment .
    Posted via Mobile Device

Trttrt. Scooped some info for you. Phonicsland does give a free trial but if we were to ask a specific teacher to do the trial - we would need to self form a group of 3. If we are indifferent as to which teacher does the assessment, then it is available. As for the summer classes, the phonics classes are all full already. Maybe the person you had talked was new ?? I don't have the same experiences there. If you want, you can pm and I will email you a free one hour private class voucher . These were handed out to us last week. They are doing their 10 th year anniversary promotion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

peggs is offline Registered User
    mejulie, my child is 2 and a half and would love to pair up with yours to attend phonics classes at PhonicsLand. I have heard very good things about their Phonics classes. My nephew attended classes at Alison's Phonics for over a year and still could not read nor spell. ( he could only read books he has memorized) Then, he attened PhonicsLand and in less than 3 months, he could do dictations and sight read books by himself. I really want mine to try but I cannot afford paying 1000 for a class. Please pm if you are interested forming a group together

sunshine12 is offline Registered User
    Phonics is expensive, but $1,000 per class is very expensive. My 5 year old went to SmartChamps at Causeway Bay for around half that price for one to one and the results were very good!

Babington is offline Registered User
    Hi, I would be interested in knowing what phonics system they are using. Is it synthetic like Jolly Phonics and Letterland? Is it analytic where they look at word patterns? What phonics training have the teachers got the teachers got? Are they accredited/trained to teach that particular style of phonics? What curriculums do they use? Is it properly structured? What is the expected learning outcome in 6 months time.

For that price, I would make sure these questions are satisfactorily answered and more.

Cliff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast