Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree8Likes

A Very Expensive Phonics School

wanyin is offline Registered User

Baby09, Julia
    I was told by staff that I had ' friends' (with names I didn't quite recognise!) who brought their children in to phOnIcSLand for a trial class. I am assuming it was you? How was it? Did your children like the place and the teacher ? Have you enrolled? My friend with a child is 3.5 years old and is on waiting list for a group class on a weekday. Just wondering whether she can join your group if the time and day matches .
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gracey is offline Registered User

I think that paying for expensive private phonics lessons for 3-5-year-olds is crazy, unless there is a diagnosed learning disorder.
    I didn't even speak English till I was 4. Soon I was a native speaker, and now work with English language and education.
    Honestly, I'd rather take my kid to the park those early years. She'll have 12-15 years to be stressed at school later.
    In the long run, the slight advantage you're giving them now won't matter much later in terms of literacy.

2mums is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    I think that paying for expensive private phonics lessons for 3-5-year-olds is crazy, unless there is a diagnosed learning disorder.
    I didn't even speak English till I was 4. Soon I was a native speaker, and now work with English language and education.
    Honestly, I'd rather take my kid to the park those early years. She'll have 12-15 years to be stressed at school later.
    In the long run, the slight advantage you're giving them now won't matter much later in terms of literacy.
    I so don't know about phonics. is phonics only teaching spelling/reading without teaching meanings? so what is this method for? is the English spelling so difficult so we has to start from 3-5 years? or phonics is for speaking ? i think it is more proper & important for 3-5 years old using their senses rather than memory ? Please anyone give some opinion.

baby09 is offline Registered User

hi there wanyin,
    yes we went but my friend referred me as her daughter is already there. There is now a class slot on Wed 3pm which Belinda the boss will teach, but only if there are at least 4 children from 3 to 4yrs old. - and at hkd3000 for 8 lessons i think its really worth it cos that is how much they are charging for the other teachers to teach plus my sis said belinda is REALLY good - her daughter can now spell words. anyway the trial class was good as it was taught by belinda - so anyone interested to join - i think jane said we just need 2 more kids to start a class next wed - 26th sept - if so, pls call jane on25762333 or call me on 97477009

baby09 is offline Registered User

hi mejulie12,
    i want to form a class and belinda the teacher has a time slot for wed 3pm. are you interested??

prishui is offline Registered User

Dear mummies,
    I went for a trial at Phonicsland. I am so glad that this post had caught my eyes ! My girl is 4 now, she has been learning phonics at mini-m....for more than a year and still could not blend out simple words. I didn't know she was making slow progress until I sat in the trial at Phonicsland. The teacher tested her on her reading at the beginning and she could not read out any single word. 30 minutes through the trial, she started reading ! Was really amazing !
    I am wondering if anyone is interested in forming a group with my daughter. She is now at K2 at braemar Hill . We can attend classes in the afternoon after 3. Please pm if interested. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

sdp_1985 is offline Registered User

I talked to my kid's teacher and she told me to look for some other elder kids who can play with my kid. I found one girl in Tung Chung Library. She was 5 years old - reading Oxford press stage 8-9 books - doing cursive writing also. She was wearing specs, so I assume she reads a lot. My kid learned few words / sounds while playing with her.
    I think kid learns a lot from other kid. We normally complicate things and forgetting simple learning steps. Make a good playgroup of different age and it will help not only one but all kids.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234