Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

when to stop feeding milk powder?

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

when to stop feeding milk powder?

my son just turned 3 years old and he has been taking nan ha since he was 6 months old. my friend suggested that i continue with the nan ha stage 3 (i don't think there is a stage 4 for nan ha - please correct me if i'm wrong) or switch to another brand with a stage 4 but trust me, i'd tried to feed him a different brand once when there was no nan ha in stock but he refused to drink it!

i'm thinking to switch him to the normal milk cartons which we can buy from the supermarkets. before trying this, may i please know how you dealt with the switching of milk powder to normal milk and at what age?

thanks!

evgreen is offline Registered User

i'm pretty sure you can switch to whole cow's milk at 1 year old if your child is eating a varied and nutritious diet of solid foods.

How to introduce cow's milk: http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-mil...-it_1334703.bc

i don't formula feed, so probably someone else can give you advice on this, but i've heard of mommies mixing formula with whole milk little by little until they are drinking whole milk completely. i am 100% convinced that late stage formulas are a marketing gimmick from formula companies to keep your child on formula for longer unless your child is finnicky eater and not getting enough nutrition from solids.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

For my kids I started at 1 year old. I started by adding a little to their food to make sure they weren't allergic and then slowly gave it to then as a drink. Wasn't a problem for me at all...mist kids like real milk more.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Beyond 14-months-old my son never drank formula or any of those powdered milk beverages. Except in the case where your child has actual health problems (poor weight gain for example) there is no reason to use any type of formula beyond 1-year-old. The whole formula-until-they're-8-years-old thing is basically a marketing ploy for formula companies.

My daughter is still breastfed at 15-months-old and has never had formula and I've yet to start feeding her cow's milk in earnest. She does have some cultured milk that we make at home which has a lot of probiotics in it. That's about it. She's doing great.

But, there is actually no reason to feed milk either. You can get the same nutrition from other sources. For example, broccoli is an excellent source of calcium.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

charade is offline Registered User

Nan Ha is a hypoallergenic formula, though, isn't it? Are their allergy concerns with your child? If so, I would consult a doc before switching. Otherwise, 1 year old is generally okay.

carang is offline Registered User

my girl had formula until she was 2, my son until he was about 1.5....i agree with what thanka said, it's a marketing ploy that seems to have worked in hk...

evgreen is offline Registered User

Just a quick note: In Canada, they suggest introducing cow's milk between 9 and 12 months, but in the US at 12 months. Wondering where the difference comes from??? Anyone know why or have tried? This link below is from Canadian Pediatricians.

http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/hand...the_first_year

peainpod is offline Registered User

I introduces whole milk to my son when he turned one (he was breastfed up to then so had no exposure to cow's milk through formula) but he turned out to be somewhat allergic (some redness around the mouth, nothing serious) so I switched to powdered goats milk (brand is Meyer, sold in Oliver's) and he drank that for about a year.

Tried Pura whole milk again around the time he turned two and there was no more allergic reaction. But he wasn't really into milk so he never drank much and now, at 4 yo, he rarely drinks it at all. We're not too fussed - as Thanka2 says, there are other equally good calcium sources - and my son eats a lot of broccoli and other foods.