Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Folic acid..should I still be taking it?

First timer is offline Registered User

Folic acid..should I still be taking it?

Hi all
    I am 17 weeks pregnant and still taking folic acid every day. The info leaflet just says take beforehand and for at least 12 weeks...can anyone share with me whether you have stopped or whether you still take it throughout?

Thanks!

elle is offline Registered User
    Are you also taking a prenatal vitimin? If so, it should have folic acid in it in a sufficient amount for the remainder of the pregnancy. Eating a fortified cereal and a few other things high in folic acid would also do the trick. The neural tube defects that folic acid protects against are generally either present or not within the first trimester.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/spi...ion=prevention

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pre...rition/PR00110

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I took colic acid for 3 months as that was what was recommended by my OBGYN and then I had a prenatal vitamin for the whole of my pregnancy.

blessed is offline Registered User
    Best to consult your doctor. I was advice by both private and public doctor to take folio acid on top of materna throughout my pregnancy due to being a thalassemia carrier. But understand that for regular pregnancy it's usually up to first trimester then what is contained in the prenatal supplement would be sufficient.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by blessed View Post
    Best to consult your doctor. I was advice by both private and public doctor to take folio acid on top of materna throughout my pregnancy due to being a thalassemia carrier. But understand that for regular pregnancy it's usually up to first trimester then what is contained in the prenatal supplement would be sufficient.
    I was also prescribed folic acid for my entire pregnancy by the mch and I presume it was related to me being a thalassaemia carrier.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I took folic acid throughout all of both of my pregnancies. I also got a lot of it in my diet--I think dietary sources need to be included as well. It's not a bad idea as most people don't have enough of it in their diet anyway and it can help with the mother's help as well.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

jessy36 is offline Registered User
    Yes, Folic acid is a must. Your OBG doctor will recommend it. I get my supplements at Wellness Centre - it is inside the 360 Supermarket (elements or Landmark).
    I'm sure baby expo next month will be a big hit. I highly recommend it. I went to the one in February too

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    I am 20 weeks, yesterday went to OB and asked about the folic acid, she said I can stop taking folic acid, but she also recommend me a maternal vitamin to take (I got a bottle from the clinic yesterday). I think it's never a bad idea to talk to your OB about this :)
    mummy mummy hooohooo