Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Do you need a car seat in hong kong?

jhal2012 is offline Registered User
    it should be - any responsible parent should use one

keninhk is offline Registered User
    http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levi..._carseats.html

Whilst I'm not fully agreeing with him. He does raise some interesting points re: the carseat manufacturers.

Think I will stick to MTR... Btw, what if the MTR is involved in a headon crash, how to secure your baby in that situation??

Guessing statistical data doesn't mix well with potential emotional loss of child...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by keninhk View Post
    http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levi..._carseats.html

Whilst I'm not fully agreeing with him. He does raise some interesting points re: the carseat manufacturers.

Think I will stick to MTR... Btw, what if the MTR is involved in a headon crash, how to secure your baby in that situation??

Guessing statistical data doesn't mix well with potential emotional loss of child...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Err, inapplicable when talking about babies (as this post is).

Re: MTR crashes, I don't think there has ever been a head on collision of MTR trains, so that type of concern is similar to 'how do i protect my baby from TVs falling out of windows' - could happen, but unlike a car crash, highly unlikely.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    We use a rear facing car seat for our 2 year old that can be used up to age 4. I believe it's much safer to keep children rear facing for as long as possible, though most countries laws don't support this. Scandinavian countries have advocated keeping their children rear facing til aged 4 or so for a long time, the US changed its recommendation to rear facing till age 2 last year, but in many countries the recommendation is still only rear facing till 1 year old. It's also hard to find stage 2 rear facing seats in Hong Kong, we had to get ours from the UK.

Here's a useful website on it - http://www.carseat.se/
    Last edited by Liquorice; 10-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I can't believe someone even came on this forum to ask this question.
    If you have a car, of course you get a car seat for your baby.

As for the MTR question -- I think that's a different issue. For most of us who DON'T have cars, a car seat may be a bit silly. I find that public transport, like the MTR, is much safer than, say, a taxi or a friend's car.
    On the rare occasion that I need to take baby in a taxi, I strap her to me in a Baby Bjorn, and then put the seat belt over both of us.

If I had a car, I'd definitely get a car seat. (And if you can afford a car in HK, why wouldn't you spend the relatively small amount of money to ensure your baby doesn't get seriously hurt in an accident?)

Gracey, from what I understand you should never put the seatbelt over both of you if in a car if you're carrying your baby with a Baby Bjorn; it must go between you and the baby. Otherwise if the seatbelt tightens in a crash it can crush the baby.
    carang and marie313 like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    liquorice, just a quick question about keeping them rear-facing for so long.... where do they put their legs? if my 4 year old was rear-facing, her knees would have been at her chin!

i'm not disparaging you, i really am just looking at the logistics of it... how does it work?

Well, I haven't got there yet as my son is only 2, but he's tall. The seats are quite high - mine is on a base and locked into the isofix things on the car - so there is room for the legs to hang down. It's also a good view out of the window, because of the height, which means he's not stuck looking at the back of a seat all the time.

The manufacturer says the seat can be used to age 4 and 18 kilos, but my boy is already almost 15 kilos so we may not be able to make it to 4! I'd like to use it for as long as possible though.

Take a look at some of the photos on the Swedish rear facing car seat website - gallery - as they show older children in their car seats in the car.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast