Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Do you need a car seat in hong kong?

elle is offline Registered User
    Gracey,
    Please look at qwert12's earlier post on the use of baby carriers (like the bjorn) in taxis and consider googling the use of a baby carrier in a cab. If what I understand is correct putting the seatbelt over you and the baby can be fatal to the child in even a low impact collision (in which the baby might otherwise survive even if thrown) as the belt will tighten and crush the baby without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by qwert12 View Post
    Will baby carrier protect your baby in a moving vehicle?

Researchers Kathleen Weber and John Melvin of the Highway Safety Research Institute at the University of Michigan Medical School tested this scenario using a 30 mph, front, dynamic crash test of the type required by the current federal safety standard for child car seats. In the crash test, an adult held the baby in a soft, cloth front carrier like the Baby Bjorn and used a lap/shoulder belt. The researchers found that this infant was at a very high risk. The tested carrier shredded completely, ejecting the infant dummy into the dashboard. If the carrier had not shredded, they found that the infant would likely still not have survived. As the adult's head traveled forward in the whiplash motion, the adult's chin would have slammed down into the infant's head right where the soft spot is.

If you find yourself in a taxi with just your infant and a Baby Bjorn (hopefully you never will), there is no way to protect your baby. However, you can still protect yourself by wearing your seatbelt. Putting the seatbelt over you and the baby will only make matters worse. It will not help the baby and will endanger you in the process.

The link: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis_8.html (more relevant information about how to protect your baby in a car in the link)

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    To be honest, I used to use my Baby Bjorn in a taxi relatively often. I thought that it was relatively good protection so watching qwert12's video is quite interesting. Though I wonder how much difference it would make in a crash if you had your arms around your baby as well as wearing the Bjorn? The dummy's arms are just loose whereas I would always wrap my arms around the baby too, and wouldn't you instinctively grab your baby to protect it in an accident? Obviously your arms alone wouldn't be enough to stop the baby flying forward, but I wonder if baby bjorn + arms would make a difference? Or is that just a bad grasp of physics?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Gracey, from what I understand you should never put the seatbelt over both of you if in a car if you're carrying your baby with a Baby Bjorn; it must go between you and the baby. Otherwise if the seatbelt tightens in a crash it can crush the baby.
    Thanks for the tip!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I seriously cannot believe Hong Kong does not have a car seat law, I knew it hadn't but still. There's a law to use your seat belts but a small child can just sit wherever ... You only need 30-40-50 kmph to have a child (let alone baby) fly through a car, no highway needed. I see so many people here even with slightly older children without any seats. Every morning I see driver after driver dropping small children off in expensive cars at a very expensive school (with multi million dollar debentures) but no car seats in the car and sometimes with helpers holding babies on their lap. I find it unbelievable.

In the US they would call 911 for endangering your child. My almost 6 yo still in boosters, my oldest (8 1/2) is now no longer required by EU law to be in a car seat (over 135 cm), so I just took her out this summer (she hardly sits in the car anyway). She was in a harnessed seat up to 6 years old. I got rid of my last 5-point harness seat that my 5 yo was still sitting in happily and they are now in boosters. Got all my 5-point harness seats in the US, up to 65 lbs, so no problem to use them for a long time. With everything we know about car safety how can you not buy a car seat for your baby when driving your own car?

Carang, I had mine rear facing up to 18 months or so. Now in the US they advise until at least 2 (1 year is mandatory + 20 lbs). It's true that in Sweden they even go much longer. In the end, the longer you can manage the better as their neck muscles get stronger and are more likely to withstand the impact. In the end, as many rf experts say ... rather a broken leg than a broken neck ... Crash test results that compare the 2 will show you a major difference in impact. It's quite scary actually. Can find them on Youtube.

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks, i'm beyond the need for it now... my kids are almost 6 and almost 8. i was just curious as even at 1 year, my kids legs were getting jammed up when they were facing backwards.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thanks, i'm beyond the need for it now... my kids are almost 6 and almost 8. i was just curious as even at 1 year, my kids legs were getting jammed up when they were facing backwards.
    I know. Past it as well. Apparently the jamming is the least of the concerns ...

Gemma is offline Registered User
    I got my sister to send a rear facing one from the UK as well, and my 2 year old's legs were getting a bit cramped from it all. Although he became terrible bored looking out the back of the car so we decided to turn him around, and now he is having much more fun.

HK's traffic laws are mind boggling. Just off the topic a bit, I got pulled over by a cop when I was seven months pregnant, and he told me it was not necessary for pregnant drivers to wear a seat belt. I was like, what?! I understand the reason behind it, but surely it's more dangerous to drive without one!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    The dummy's arms are just loose whereas I would always wrap my arms around the baby too, and wouldn't you instinctively grab your baby to protect it in an accident? Obviously your arms alone wouldn't be enough to stop the baby flying forward, but I wonder if baby bjorn + arms would make a difference? Or is that just a bad grasp of physics?
    I think it is bad grasp of reality. The fact is you rarely get enough notice of an accident to take evasive action. Having been involved in a medium speed (50 kph) accident a couple of years ago - even as an alert driver I had no time to warn my passengers when someone pulled out directly in front of me. I swerved and saved the other drivers life by clipping his neariside wing instead of hitting the drivers door full on. However this was over in a fraction of a second.

Fortunately we were all belted up and the worst injury was extensive bruising and a broken chest bone. Both cars were write-offs though.

Had my daughter been alive and in a sling/mothers arms I had little doubt she would have suffered serious, possibly fatal injuries. Accidents can happen any time and almost by definition without enough warning.
    elle likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast