Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time fathers weight gain

JL168 is offline Registered User

First time fathers weight gain

Hello ladies,

I'd like to know how many first time fathers have gained weight after their baby was born.

My husband is putting on more and more weight and i have no idea where it comes from! People say they're supposed to lose weight because raising a baby takes up a lot of energy, sleep and so (i presume) also calories... Was just wondering why it's the other way around for him. Thanks!

charade is offline Registered User
    I don't know about fathers of just-born babies, but I just read a book choc-a-bloc with scientific studies on pregnancy and one of them said dads-to-be tend to put on sympathy weight. Dads-to-be also experience a prolactin surge though not as much as mums.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I put on 12kg during the first year of my child's life. The reasons were simple - less time to go the gym, less time to go hiking, constantly feeling tired due to disrupted sleep/physical demands of working full time and looking after a baby.

We also ate less healthily as we tended to order more, and cook at home less - again the baby puts a lot of demands on time and compromises were made.

Now she sleeps better and we have more of a routines the weight is falling back away, just want to get back down before the second one comes along.

JL168 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    I put on 12kg during the first year of my child's life. The reasons were simple - less time to go the gym, less time to go hiking, constantly feeling tired due to disrupted sleep/physical demands of working full time and looking after a baby.

We also ate less healthily as we tended to order more, and cook at home less - again the baby puts a lot of demands on time and compromises were made.

Now she sleeps better and we have more of a routines the weight is falling back away, just want to get back down before the second one comes along.
    You're not afraid the past will repeat itself? :p

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Well, hopefully as more experienced parents we'll be able to deal with the issues better. I suspect things will be easier the second time round, most parents seem to say this.

Plus, a helper might help!

Fichle is offline Registered User
    I have no idea about the weight gain for father after the baby born.I think it will take more effect over mother.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    2010-newdad your post made me smile! Our little critters throw all sorts of curve balls at us but weight gain for dads was not something I'd ever though of!

marie313 is offline Registered User
    A lot of relationships change after the baby is born - less sex, less time (and inclination) to give each other physical or emotional attention. maybe he is comfort eating? i know plenty of women that do this, so why not men? Also, maybe because he is getting less sleep he is eating more junk food to get energy?
    just a thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast