Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

I think my helper agency is ripping me off ...

Gemma is offline Registered User

I think my helper agency is ripping me off ...

Can I just get a survey of costs as I suspect this agency (which is unfortunately run by a relative so it makes things v awkward)is ripping me off.

Am hiring a helper direct (i.e. I found her myself). I asked this agency to help me process her papers, visa, exit from HK, accom and expenses while (she went to Macau for a few days), medical check.

I was intially quoted $3k (mate's rates according to my relative), then I found out they were going to charge my to-be helper $3k as well, which I thought was too much. (in fact, are they allowed to charge more than 10% of the helper's monthly salary in this situation?) So I said I would shoulder her costs as well, and now I am paying up $5k in total. This covers everything except for insurance.

Anyone who has hired direct recently, how much did you pay to the agency? And what did they charge your helper?

Thanks so much!

carang is offline Registered User
    no, $3000 sounds a little on the low side. i've usually been quoted $3300-4000.
    they should not be allowed to charge the helper $3000. it is limited to 10% of the minimum monthly wage (as far as i remember).

gypsymhy is offline Registered User
    hi Gemma May here,lot of agency here in Hk charge so much for the helper,even if the employer shoulder the cost they will ask some more from the helpers pocket,,there's few good agency here in HK that charged reasonably for the helpers and for the employers as well.Try Amahsearch Agency located at central,here's the add;Room 802,8/f yat fat bldg.at 2nd Ali ali...

Im looking for a new job but Im trying to find it here online and then that's when WILL enter agency to help us process the papers...regards
    May

rani is offline Administrator
    I hv been interviewing helpers as well. Apparently many broken contract helpers are going to Macau to wait for their visa. You do need an agency and the helpers hv told me the agency charges $1800-2000. This doesn't include their boarding in Macau which 1 helper told me she is responsible for and not the employer.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

This is the charge if you found the helper yourself n not thru the agency. Plus if she has already worked in HK and not a new hire.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Rani

Is the $1800-$2000 what the agencies charge the helper? And this is on top of whatever the agency will also charge the employer I presume?

Charge the employers. I didn't think to ask if they were charging helpers too.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

fafreak is offline Registered User
    I paid around $3800 for a helper I found. I don't know if she was charged separately but her cousin recommended the agency so I'm sure the cost to helper was limited. I'll ask her and post again when we've chatted