Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

When to tell people...

Sapphire40 is offline Registered User

When to tell people...

I'm just over 4 weeks pregnant through IVF, it's been a challenging time so I have not been investing in friends and family for fear of that dreaded 'how's it going?' question, normally citing house moving, work busy etc. People are aware that I have been doing fertility treatment for the last few months and now on the first IVF cycle, but I am at the point where (as happened at dinner the other day) I can't keep making up excuses as it will have been the longest IVF cycle ever but feel its too soon to say anything.

2 things - firstly, I am having trouble believing it - was really sick last week but this week feeling normal as the IVF treatment bloating and other effects are worse than being pregnant (either that or the eating sh*t loads of protein worked) and secondly I am worried that things could go wrong in the next couple of months as I am older so technically its a while until the safe period. Perhaps I am in denial or fear of jeopardising things! Also I could potentially have twins as two embryos were implanted.

I haven't even told my family yet, we were contemplating waiting until 6 weeks which is next week.

Anyone got advice/experience etc?

Confused, thanks! :-)

carang is offline Registered User
    they say that 12 weeks is "safe" to tell people with a natural pregnancy(not sure about IVF)... but my sister-in-law didn't work out that way. they phoned everyone to tell them the happy news only to have to call everyone back 2 days later when she lost the baby.

i'm not saying that to add to your worries, but only to say that even if you hold off, something may happen.

my advice: the best time to tell everyone is when you are ready to. it isn't really anyone's business except yours and hubby's... so the news should be spread only when you both agree and are ready.

oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!
    Irishmom likes this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    would agree with carang - no need to deny the rumours, but wouldn't make an announcement just yet - i waited till 20weeks to tell people cause i was SO freaked out something would happen...i don't know - whenever you are ready really. we told close family earlier than friends and they didn't leak the word to anyone...maybe that could be a plan?

congrats! :)

carang is offline Registered User
    i was lucky... i was so excited, i would have shouted it from the rooftops if i'd been able to! when i look back now, i'm glad that all went relatively well for me. :)

also, to clarify, my SIL waited until 12 weeks to tell and lost the baby before she got to 13 weeks.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    With my first natural (non IVF) pregnancy I only told the "need-to-knows" (doctor, husband, close friend who helped me find a doctor etc.) in the beginning. I was about 5-6 weeks pregnant when I found out. Then I started to have signs of miscarriage--spotting etc. That freaked me out. From thereon, I chose not to tell anyone--even our families until I really "had to" (was really, really showing). It was about 3 months before I told my mom--I had the opportunity to travel to where she lives on Mother's Day so I decided to do so then. I was probably 5 months pregnant when everyone else knew. I just didn't feel comfortable with telling people early.

With my second pregnancy, I was so happy and excited that at about 7-8 weeks I told everyone and had a miscarriage about a week later.

So, with my third pregnancy, I again waited until much later--probably 3-5 months before I started telling everyone. I actually was hired by a new company right after I fell pregnant and I didn't even tell my bosses I was pregnant until about 4-5 months later! Thankfully they responded well!

Keeping quiet about the pregnancy was mainly for my protection as I had suffered the pain of "getting my hopes up" with the previous pregnancy and I really believe that when I started telling others it made the pregnancy very real to me--it wasn't so much about them or how they would feel if I lost the baby but more about keeping things intimate and private to lessen the blow of pain and disappointment in case I lost the baby again.

So, if I was in your shoes, I would continue to focus inward. Sometimes in life are for being outgoing and open about everything and some times are more contemplative or reflective and you legitimately have a reason to not be a social butterfly at this point. Your body is going through something really major and I can't imagine the emotions as well. So, if I was in your shoes, I would select 1-2 very close friends (who have tight lips) and when you feel the time is right you can share with them--maybe someone who has already gone through the IVF journey--just someone to share things with. And for the rest of the friends and family--it's not going to hurt them or kill them not to know you're pregnant right away. I know people who wait a long, long time. I know people who keep their pregnancies secrets until after the baby is born--like they avoid everyone. Everyone deals with pregnancy different and all are legitimate and useful ways.

Hope all goes well for you.
    Irishmom likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

planning a baby is offline Registered User
    Hi Sapphire40,

First of all, congrats!

After the grief of MC a few years ago, we didn't start telling anyone about this pregnancy until I was 4 months. And even then it was only parents and siblings. Now I'm coming to 5 months, we've started telling friends who we feel are most supportive and genuine although we expect the news will soon spread to others.

We've gone private and have quite regular scans for more reassurance for this pregnancy.

I agree with Carang,....tell whoever you want whenever you feel you want to (unless you have a legal obligation to tell your employer). You should not feel pressured to tell anyone. After all, when you're ready to start telling anyone, if they really care or are a true friend, they should be more happy to hear the news than make an issue of not being told earlier.

I agree with thanka2,...you will have enough on your mind with other worries during pregnancy. Keeping a positive mind and positive support is what you need.

Interestingly, not sure if it's a common cultural thing, but I know a few local Hong Kong mothers who didn't tell people about their pregnancy until 6 months. They said it was because that's when they feel the pregnancy is more stable.

Anyway, best wishes for you and your bump :)

Sapphire40 is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. I am concerned about getting through the first trimester safely. The biggest thing for me would have been explaining the obvious signs (putting on weight) as right after the implantation I ballooned and was very bloated and uncomfortable for days. That has since subsided, but I am bigger than normal (probably half a stone heavier since I started treatment) and have had to buy some bigger clothes already mainly due to the drug effect (still having to inject progesterone daily) and find I cant eat big meals as I just expand! Luckily my friends who know about the IVF are about to go away on holiday (there are about 4 of them) and then we go away so by the time we get back it will be 3 months so almost safe. Its how you explain away the 'showing' and the 'alcohol abstinence' (I am known for my love of a good sauvignon blanc), but actually apart from work, I can probably manage other people.

Anyway, thanks for all your input, really appreciate it.

alfa is offline Registered User
    I would just like to add another perspective. I had ivf and two of my best friends knew both times-the first one i had mc and because they knew i could rely on their support-the second time i was a mental freak with the stress and talking to them helped me get thru the first 12 weeks. I wouldnt tell everyone(and i didnt) till the first 12 weeks passed buth the two friends and my closest family knew.Congratulations on your pregnancy I know how taxing your ivf must have been so fingers crossec it is all good news from now on!!!
    carang likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast