Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recommendations for hiring a Chinese DOULA in Hong Kong

planning a baby is offline Registered User

Recommendations for hiring a Chinese DOULA in Hong Kong

I am looking for a Chinese doula who will be able to help out a few hours a day and who can cook those healing Chinese soups/concoctions and healthy nutritious meals for postnatal care.

I tried googling for one but can only find the expensive English speaking ones which is not what I am looking for. I don't know where else to find one.

I heard a few years back that you can hire a Chinese doula for about $3k-$3.5k a month but I don't know about the cost now. I will probably only need one to help out about 4-5 hours a day to cook and possibly help out with some house cleaning.

Especially if you have hired a good Chinese doula yourself, I'd be really grateful if you can pass on their details.

I hope I'm not too late as I did hear before you have to hire one many months beforehand. I'm due in 4-5 months.

elle is offline Registered User
    You may have a better time searching for a "pui yuet" or 'confinement lady', as the term doula for what you are describing is not typically used. I think that if you do a search on this site a couple agencies, as well as individual names/ contact details come up.

Regarding cost, a couple of my colleagues have hired pui yuets in the last year or so and the fees run at least 2-3x higher than HK$3000/ month for 6-8 hours a day. Additionally, my understanding that these ladies do not do much cleaning, particularly if not related to the baby. Most that I have heard of do not do part time, they are booked full time for 4-6 weeks per client.

Zergmei is offline Registered User
    usually these are hired from singapore (malaysians) who charge about SGD3000 / HKD 20,000 a month with a minimum 2 month engagement. All air ticket, food and lodgings, as well as herbs and ingredients for cooking are additional.

Quote Originally Posted by planning a baby View Post
    I am looking for a Chinese doula who will be able to help out a few hours a day and who can cook those healing Chinese soups/concoctions and healthy nutritious meals for postnatal care.

I tried googling for one but can only find the expensive English speaking ones which is not what I am looking for. I don't know where else to find one.

I heard a few years back that you can hire a Chinese doula for about $3k-$3.5k a month but I don't know about the cost now. I will probably only need one to help out about 4-5 hours a day to cook and possibly help out with some house cleaning.

Especially if you have hired a good Chinese doula yourself, I'd be really grateful if you can pass on their details.

I hope I'm not too late as I did hear before you have to hire one many months beforehand. I'm due in 4-5 months.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    Try this: Sassy Mama Article

Or Smart Living

I found mine from smart living and was very satisfied with the service. I contacted Methodist Church first but they directed me to smart living. There is also a guidance/recommended wages for post natal care there.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Search for the Bamboos agency and ask for a "pu yuet." They are very reliable. We currently use a Chinese nanny from them, and are very happy.
    Do note that "pu yuet" generally do not speak English (are you a Chinese speaker?) and do not do housework. They are not like Filipina / Indonesian helpers, who do baby care and housework. They are considered experts in traditional Chinese healing.
    Also note that they can be very opinionated about what you can/ can't eat, how you behave, etc., and some are very "confining" (that's where the word "confinement" comes from). It can be like a bossy aunt telling you you can't go outside, wash your hair, drink cold water, etc.
    Personally, I never hired one. My helper was enough for me after I had my baby.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    agree that the cost is more like 20K per month and it is a full time live in position with no cleaning and household duties. In fact one of my friend's helper quit on her because she was fed up with catering after the family AND the pui yuet!
    These "chinese doulas' are very sought after and can command more than 20K for the ones with good WOM recommendations.