Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need advice on public system

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    For me, as this is my first, I found it a bit weird that they didn't do anything before 12 weeks. I was so paranoid that something could be wrong that I saw a private obgyn at 6 weeks and 11 weeks just to make sure everything was happening as it should. But that's just me - I'm a worrier.

Jules007 is offline Registered User
    I'm currently 7 months pregnant with number 2. I had my first in the public system and all went well. My baby needed special care for a week and if you are in the private system, baby will be sent to a public hospital for that care! I went to all the ante natal checks through the public system as well and there was a lot of waiting involved! With number 2, I am seeing a private doctor but still plan to give birth at Queen Mary. By 20 weeks you need to make an appointment with your nearest public hospital in order to get your name in the system. So far I have been for 2 checks in the public system and the rest is being done privately. For me this is the best of both worlds as I don't need to wait for hours but also don't need to fork out $70 000 for a private bed. As for delivery, I have no idea which doctor will be with me - whoever is on call at the time ..... and there are likely to be several students watching !!

expatmom2b is offline Registered User
    There's a Union Hospital clinic in the mall connected to Po Lam where private docs can look after you whilst delivering in the public system, although I don't know if the waiting time is any less. I just went for my initial pregnancy test to get the letter and an ultrasound.

FYI, presuming everything goes well and you don't need to be seen at the hospital for your antenatal care - if you live off Sai Sha Road and want to go to the MCHC in Ma On Shan, I believe your hospital will be Prince of Wales. If you're closer to the Tseung Kwan O MCHC, then your choices are either United Christian or Queen Elizabeth. If you prefer UCH, then you register at the MCHC, if you prefer QEH, then you have to go there to register (but your care will transferred to the TKO MCHC).

As of last summer, they were still taking people from outside of their catchment area at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern. It's a bit of a hike, but then you can partake of their semi-private rooms in the postnatal ward (if they're not full on the day). I delivered there in March, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you with your pregnancy!

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by expatmom2b View Post
    There's a Union Hospital clinic in the mall connected to Po Lam where private docs can look after you whilst delivering in the public system, although I don't know if the waiting time is any less. I just went for my initial pregnancy test to get the letter and an ultrasound.

FYI, presuming everything goes well and you don't need to be seen at the hospital for your antenatal care - if you live off Sai Sha Road and want to go to the MCHC in Ma On Shan, I believe your hospital will be Prince of Wales. If you're closer to the Tseung Kwan O MCHC, then your choices are either United Christian or Queen Elizabeth. If you prefer UCH, then you register at the MCHC, if you prefer QEH, then you have to go there to register (but your care will transferred to the TKO MCHC).

As of last summer, they were still taking people from outside of their catchment area at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern. It's a bit of a hike, but then you can partake of their semi-private rooms in the postnatal ward (if they're not full on the day). I delivered there in March, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you with your pregnancy!
    Second this info about public hospital choices if you live in Sai Kung... Also, Union Hospital Polycylic in Po Lam. I used one of the younger doctors there during my first pregnancy but she no longer sits at that clinic. However, a highly recommended doctor who does is Dr. Yu kai Man. He is the head of obstetrics at Union Hospital if I'm not mistaken and I've heard good things about him; however, he is quite busy so you need to book your appointments in advance (which was why I chose to go with another doctor at the clinic). A few years ago, he was seeing patients who delivered public, not sure now. Google Union Hospital Polyclinic to get their phone numbers and schedule if you're interested. If you can't find it, PM me and I can dig it up.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I'm going to deliver at UCH and I registered with them directly and had my nt scan/blood test there too. I didn't go to the TKO MCHC just because their timetable for appointments was really limited. Though I imagine the wait might be less at an MCHC.

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for all your advice and help, it has made things alot clearer for me. I have decided to use Annerley for all the Antenatal stuff and then deliver at a public hospital, don't know which one yet but I think the Prince of Wales is probably the easiest for me to get to. Will do some more research first though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12