Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on public system

Redestiny is offline Registered User

Need advice on public system

I'm currently 5wks pregnant and although I think its far too early to even think about delivery, it seems you have to do these things quickly in HK.

The GP I have been using for about 4 years is based at 'Central Health' and is not able to give me advise on having a baby using the public system. Coming from the UK I have a hard time swallowing the costs involved with the private system, but have no idea how I would go about using the public service.

I live in Sai Kung, can anybody recommend a Dr willing to use the public hospitals?

This is my first time and I am feeling very confused.

Thanks so much

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you can try Dr Sally Ferguson. she can't deliver in HK at all so does lots of prenatal checks..with her she wouldn't have any expectations about where and who delivers for you...but she's very experienced and used to deliver at Matilda and Adventist.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Do you mean you want to find a private doctor who can deliver your baby in a public hospital or that you want a private gp to visit while you're pregnant but then you'll just have a normal birth in a public hospital?

I'm doing the latter - the public system is super efficient. Just get a letter from a gp (any gp) to confirm you're pregnant then take it to the hospital and you'll be put on the conveyor belt.... If you're in sai Kung I think your hospital is either Pamela youde or United Christian. The dept of health website should tell you.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Ignore me- you wouldn't be Pamela youde, not sure why I wrote that. I think you're in the Kowloon East cluster: which means you'd go to United Christian hospital in kwun tong

Haskel is offline Registered User
    We recently had a baby in the public system (Queen Mary). Medically, the service was very good, but the lack of easily available information did create some uncertainty and anxiety for us.

You need to find a doctor who will refer you into the public system, regardless of whether they then deliver in it themselves. Any doctor can do this once they have verified your pregnancy. There is a strong financial incentive to book you into the private system, so the public option may not be the first thing to come up in consultation. We consulted Dr. May Mok at the Women's clinic, and she was willing to feed us into the public system once we decided to go down that route. Once you are in the public system, they take over your care.

Public hospitals, just like private ones, also require you to make a booking months in advance, so it is still important to move fast.

The core public service (at least at QM. I cannot speak for other hospitals) is excellent; but it is a bit no-frills, so you may still want to keep in touch with a private doctor to provide any supplementary tests, ante- and post-natal care, midwife visits etc. that you might want.

We also used a company called Annerley (http://www.annerley.com.hk/) who, among other services, provide a workshop called 'Navigation Through the Public Hospitals' as well as ante-natal classes that take the idiosyncracies of Hong Kong's medical system into account. I recommend getting in touch with them if you need some guidance.

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    Yes, I just want a normal birth at a public hospital, just didn't know how to go about it. Thanks for the advice, I'll get a letter from my GP, but will probably need to change my GP after that. Thanks.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    Actually the public hospital will provide all the antenatal check ups that you need. You have your first at about 12 weeks for downs syndrome screening and soon after that your first check up. After that you will have check ups every month and then in later pregnancy every 2 weeks. I had all my antenatal care at the public hospital except for the 20 week scan. I used Princess Margaret Hospial and they

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    Were great. Cost wise was much better than private. All up paid $150 for me and $250 for baby as he was in the neonatal special care ward for a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast