Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

English Primary schools

nltempany is offline Registered User
    My child will participate in a 6 month Cantonese Initiation Program at Delia. Hopefully she will do well enough in this program to gain an interview at PLK or ST Margaret's. I'll let her brains do the talking from there.

What I don't understand with some of the top local English schools is why they shut out native English speakers from applying? Surely they would want children who can speak, read and write english so well they can actually challenge and assist the current students. If you have a class full of ESL students I imagine their English will not improve much beyond 2nd language status. But if you have a class of ESL mixed with native English speakers you are going to have the edge?
    I understand that classes are big and students need to be at a similar level but surely a child who is smart, has excelled in English and is willing to work hard could find a place in a local 'top' school.
    I'll let you know how our journey plays out.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nltempany View Post
    What I don't understand with some of the top local English schools is why they shut out native English speakers from applying?
    May I know how you came to this conclusion?

nltempany is offline Registered User
    I came to this conclusion because I spent several weeks putting together a portfolio application for St Margarets. I wanted to apply to St Margaret's because they have a great reputation, they are an EMI and because several other families (one of which I know speaks no Chinese) go to the school.

I phoned the school and asked when would be the best time to drop off the application and I was told not to bother unless my child could read and write Chinese.

That is why we're at Delia. So she can learn enough Chinese to be able to at least apply. All I want is for her to have an opportunity to interview. If she isn't capable of attending the classes then fine refuse her but I would at least like her to have an opportunity to show what she is capable of.

FYI The Delia interview was way below her English standard so I assume instead of concentrating on English they concentrate on her Chinese and Maths.

carang is offline Registered User
    My child will participate in a 6 month Cantonese Initiation Program at Delia. Hopefully she will do well enough in this program to gain an interview at PLK or ST Margaret's. I'll let her brains do the talking from there.

What I don't understand with some of the top local English schools is why they shut out native English speakers from applying? Surely they would want children who can speak, read and write english so well they can actually challenge and assist the current students. If you have a class full of ESL students I imagine their English will not improve much beyond 2nd language status. But if you have a class of ESL mixed with native English speakers you are going to have the edge?
    I understand that classes are big and students need to be at a similar level but surely a child who is smart, has excelled in English and is willing to work hard could find a place in a local 'top' school.
    I'll let you know how our journey plays out.
    i think that what you haven't figured out yet is that although they will be EMI, there is a large chinese component in the curriculum, at least for most of the schools. i know st. paul's convent school has french classes for the non-chinese students to take.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I phoned the school and asked when would be the best time to drop off the application and I was told not to bother unless my child could read and write Chinese.
    I see what you mean now.

However this does not mean they are shutting out native English speakers; on the contrary the schools that I've been exposed to welcome native speakers. But rather they are requiring a certain level of competency in other languages (in this case Cantonese) in order for the child to fit into the environment as these schools are not 100% English.
    I'm fairly certain if your child was entering K1 (instead of P2) there would be no issue at all.

This is no different than many private schools. eg: ISF and CIS will accept children who speak only Cantonese, only English or only Mandarin into their Prep/Kindy classes but if you try to apply into P2, they will test you in English as well as Mandarin before allowing entry.
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 08-14-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12