Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Getting test results from public hospital

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Getting test results from public hospital

I had my Downs screening blood test 2 weeks ago. I was told they would call within 2 weeks if there was 'a problem' but I've not heard from them. I'm sure everything's fine but I'd rather actually speak to someone about it (I'm not due to see a GP at the hospital in mid-sept).

I've tried calling the enquiry line but I just end up with a recorded message (in Cantonese) which ends with 'bye bye' and it hangs up.

Has anyone had any luck speaking to someone about tests?

carang is offline Registered User
    they only contact you if there is a problem... the fact that you've not heard means there isn't a problem.

I know that's the idea, but it's my first pregnancy and I'm paranoid I'll go back in September to be told they had lost the sample, or the results, or my file, or my phone number, or they left a message on the wrong number, or the person who should have called was on sick leave, or they thought they had already called me or they couldn't find anyone who could speak English well enough or blah blah blah. I just want to know for certain that the test was done and the results are ok.

you may have a difficult time then.... this is the public system. they do things their way. sorry....

they do take their tests seriously (i know i had LOT of tests) and they DO get back to you if there is a problem. honestly, they do. and they wouldn't just leave a message. they would try to call you again....even if they did leave a msg.

Ok, thank you. I guess I'll just have to learn to trust them. I was really expecting to get a call just based on my age alone, let alone anything else.

sorry, i can't offer any other advice.

i had 2 VERY complicated pregnancies, both times used QMH and i can assure you that they are uber-cautious about stuff. it's a teaching hospital, so if they think you need a test, they do not hesitate at all in ordering one. my pregnancies were so bad, i was hospitalised 13 times over two of them. my charts were so thick, they needed a trolley to move them.....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've also been chased up by the hospital - if they need to talk to you, they're going to call every single number they have and keep calling you until they talk to you. I know how much you want to hear that "everything is ok" but the fact that you haven't heard is all the assurance that you'll get from the public system. They will chase you up if there is an issue.
    carang likes this.

giginium is offline Registered User
    Hi Aquarian

After you get your down's syndrome screening test, the hospital should have given you the next date for checkup, which I assume is the mid-sept date that you have mentioned.

In that appointment, there is a nurse and doc (but mine was a resident student) that will go through the results of all your tests, including all the bloodworks…etc

If they haven't called u, it is usually a sign that there is nothing wrong (as was my case). But you will hear that in your next visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast