Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By clarehk
  • 1 Post By charade

Anyone given birth at United Christian Hospital?

clarehk is offline Registered User

Red face Anyone given birth at United Christian Hospital?

Hi, I am pregnant with my second baby. My daughter was born at the Prince of Wales (public) hospital. I had a 40 hour labour, and was in the delivery room for the last 15 hours, but they wouldn't let my husband come in with me until the last hour. I was completely traumatised by being alone all that time in so much agony. So I am thinking of having this baby at the United Christian Hospital. I just want to know if they allow your husband to be with you throughout, and also if they allow your baby to stay with you the whole time (like they did at the POW).

Any experiences from other mums will be really welcome! Thanks!
    tsubasa likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    I delivered in United Christian in 2010 (induced, vaginal delivery) and in January this year (emergency c-sec). My husband was allowed in for the vaginal delivery, not the c-section. I went into labour at 4 am, my water broke at around 10 am when I was in the hospital (after which I was in the antenatal ward). I was induced at 8 pm in the delivery suite (at which point my husband was allowed in) and I gave birth at 4 am. So he was with me from 8-4, for most of the really painful part. I think the policy is the same now.

The first I delivered, they seemed to favour more scheduled feeding in the nursery and only asked us to keep the baby on the third night. But the second time, they were kind of pushing us to keep the baby with us for the whole time from day 2... I guess they feel you're too tired on day 1. I'm not actually sure whether there was a policy change at the hospital, or because I was a second-time mom (the nurse said 'do you feel confident to have the baby with you?') or because most of the mums in my section were at a similar stage (so we'd all have wailing babies around us). So not sure exactly but I think if you're keen on it, they'll let you.

clarehk is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much, thats a great help. I was definitely leaning towards UCH anyway, as I simply don't understand the POW policy of not allowing husbands/partners with you until delivery. It's barbaric and outdated. The most important thing for me is that I am not left alone like I was last time, I was absolutely terrified! I just hope it goes quicker this time too!

charade is offline Registered User
    Yes, I did not have a long birth plan but the one thing I really wanted was for my husband to be there and I think I would have been traumatised if he wasn't. I think it does free up the nurses too.
    tsubasa likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I'm due to give birth at UCH in January and like you my biggest concern is my husband being with me. Apparently although dads aren't allowed in the room with you until you're properly in labour, you can walk around - ie you can walk to the waiting area/corridor where he is so you can still be together. (there is a thread about it somewhere) I'm also going to look into an Annerly midwife service who can tell you know when you actually need to go to the hospital so you avoid going too soon.

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry to hear that your husband was kept from you there too, Clare. I hope they change their policy...

lcg97 is offline Registered User
    Hi Clare
    I'm giving birth in the UCH in December and everything I have heard from both them and the ladies at Annerley is that they have a very different approach from the POW and encourage your husband to be with you during active labour. I think prior to that they can't be with you (more for the privacy of the other patients as you won't have been moved to the delivery room yet) but as someone mentioned above as you can move around you can go and see them in the waiting area. Annerley suggested waiting until quite late before going into the hospital - that way your husband can be with you the whole time (except if it's a C-Section) - I guess as this is your second baby you might have a better understanding as to when this should be - if not, then Annerley had a lot of knowledge so am sure could help you. I originally had registered at the POW and changed to UCH once I had heard the different approaches from each hospital on this.
    Hope this helps! If you want to contact me mid December - I hopefully should be able to share my experience with you :-)

krystal_kk is offline Registered User
    Icg97, hope everything goes well or went well for u! When you are fully rested and recovered, please share with us your great news and experience. Thank u!