Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

3 months notice international school

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

3 months notice international school

So we finally received an offer in an international school for my 5 year old. They've asked us to sign an enrollment acceptance form that says "we undertake to give at least 3 months notice in writing prior to withdrawal... And if such notice is not given, then 3 months or one term's fees will be payable to us"

My question is:
    1) Is this normal? I would think that in an expat community, there is so much movement and they would understand that not all employers give 3 months notice and should the unfortunate incident arise, we would really have to stay behind to fulfill that clause. Otherwise, we will have to fork out 30k!

2) is there much point in disputing this if they say "well, that's standard policy, take it or leave it mate"*

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    1) I've seen such clauses in many enrollment forms. It seems to be quite common. Yes, movements are common but most people who will move know this months in advance. Typically families try to limit moves till end of year for obvious reasons.

2) If its a big, in demand school then you'd be wasting your breath.
    Having said that, the worst they are going to say is "no"; so just drop them an email and see what they say...you never know if you dont try...

rani is offline Administrator
    Quite a few schools ask for 1 term's notice when you withdraw your child - which is more or less 3 months.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    It is standard practice and they'll tell you to take it or leave it I'm pretty sure (although it's always worth a try!) just remember if you or your husbands work wants you to transfer with a shorter notice period to ask them to cover the amount you'll be out of pocket - not all companies will but lots do.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I rang the school to find out why they give 3 months notice and they said that because of the demand for school places, they will need that lead time to fill up the slot. I don't get it. You would think that with such a demand they would not need any lead time at all to fill the slot since parents would be eager to grab the first school that offers them a place. I asked if they ever considered that employers would normally give 1 months notice and that parents would struggle to hang around for two more months just to avoid paying a full term. They said that the board of directors have decided this clause and that "it's been that way since I worked here for many years". I guess that was my "take it or leave it" cue. at least I know the reason behind it. Well, sort of.*

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    3 months is better than we have. I think we have 1 term notice. ESF is one month notice I think. A private school we were considering in the US was one year notice if I remember properly.

While there are huge waiting lists, there are also a number of families who would hesitate pulling a kid out of one school in the middle of a term and starting at a new school. Disruption of friends, teachers, and routine would be a bit rough for some kids such that replacing you might not be instant.

Ah. Thanks Penguinsix. That explains it.