Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sterilizing equipment

karhu is offline Registered User

Sterilizing equipment

I have bought the avent manual breast pump as well as the VIA breast milk storage system with the adaptor for switching from pumping to feeding.

I'm going back to work and will continue breastfeeding with pumping! Just wondering if anyone has any idea on how to keep the equipment clean and sterile, particularly the adaptor and the lid of the VIA system?

And do you all sterilise your breast pump parts each time before use?

Thanks very much!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Some people who pump at work will just sterilise once a day, then place all the parts in a ziplock bag in the fridge in between pumping sessions to keep it sterile. Others will rinse, and others will use microwave sterilising bags or even Milton tablets... it all depends on how "safe" you want to be. Some say that sterilising is not as important for breast milk, which apparently contains some antibiotic properties in and of itself. It's far more important for formula. I know people who never sterilised for breast milk at all.

I pumped for my little one and when she was little, I sterilised every time - I figured that it was theoretically safer so why not. I was pumping from home anyway so it wasn't significantly less convenient. Once she was about 6 months old though, I stopped sterilising and just washed with hot soapy water. At that age, they're putting everything in their mouth anyway so I figured it didn't make much difference any more.

How old is your little one??

charade is offline Registered User
    I pumped at work using a Medela pump and there was no way for me to sterilise that I could think of. I would just run really hot water (the hot tap of the dispenser) over the flange. Then I would get them washed and sterilised at home.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I still pump at work and sterilize once a day using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Quick-C.../dp/B000096QQ5

You can buy them at Celki in HK I think. Very convenient to use. I soak my pump parts in hot soapy water, rinse and then place the parts in the bag to sterilize with a bit of water. Only needs 2-3 minutes in the microwave.

Thanks! Little one is 3 months next week!

I got the medela microwave bags also but brought 2 pumps at work today so didn't need to clean today!

Just wondering, do you guys use the toilet sink or kitchen sink to wash? And what soap do you use? Regular soap?

nltempany is offline Registered User
    Best way to sterilize I find, is to use Milton's tablets. Dissolve them in cold water and submerge your equipment for at least 15 mins. I have seen the tablets in the baby aisle at Taste.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    i use the sink in the office pantry and use normal dish detergent.

I just started the pumping and have rinsed the pump after pumping then before my next pump I use baby bottle detergent and hot water to soak/rinse the pump then use the medela microwave bag to sterilise!

So much time, work and hassle to pump but I know my baby is getting some of the goodness even though I am not able to fed exclusively anymore!

Thanks ladies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast