Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding and sleeping schedule for a 3-month old

karhu is offline Registered User

Feeding and sleeping schedule for a 3-month old

Hi there,

Can anyone share their feeding and sleeping schedule of their 3 months old baby?

Mine is still having 8 meals because her weight gain wasn't good in the past and nurse advised to feed her min 9 meals! But now she's sleeping longer I could only feed 8... And by reading her signal sometimes I could only feed 7 but worried she won't gain enough weight so squeeze in an extra meal anyway,... Bed time by ~9:30 nursed to sleep with all over the place nap time falling asleep only in our arms,,,, I just got back to work

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Babies grow when they sleep...sleeping is good. Instead of looking at the number of feeds try looking at the total amount fed, is 7 feeds and 8 feeds the same? If so don't worry. Ultimately you want to decrease the number of feeds Nd increase the amount fed at each meal, increasing the total amount of milk fed overall. I fed my babies every 4-5 hrs, 4-6oz each time

Thanks! But I'm mixed feeding and pumping so during the day when I'm away baby eats 4 meals of 3-4.5oz but when I'm home I feed her direct so have no idea if she's getting enough... Do I just have faith in her that she would eat more if a feed is dropped? But she's one of those babies who won't cry if you give her 2.5oz but will also finish 4oz easily!!!

peainpod is offline Registered User
    When breast feeding, perhaps try to lengthen each feed as the early part is more watery (for quenching thirst) and the thick creamy milk comes at the end, which will help with your baby's weight gain.

Thanks for the advice!

Just worried that it will hurt my supply when she drinks more formula than from my breast and also worried about the weight gain... Will try to feed for longer and also doing 7 feeds today as she didn't show hunger signs much today....

Going to bed at 9:30 and waking up at 6:30 with one Eakin of night feed is normal for a 3 month old yes?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    If your baby can sleep through the night that is good. My 1&2 slept through at 3 mths and my 3 slept through at 4 mths. That is they slept the same hours as your baby with no feed. Can't quite remember how much (at least approximately) how much milk babies "should" consume at 3 mths...really think you should focus on the total amount drank per day, rather than the number of feeds so you don't get overly worried. Babis will change on a regular basis, so when you think you know what's happening, the feeding schedule will change. No need to worry though...that's normal. Just monitor weight gain.

Haha thats true! Okay thanks very much, she had 7 feeds including 1 formula feed of 4.5oz and slept from 9:45-6:45! Guess she had enough to eat and didn't need to wake up to feed! Thanks ladies!

slin is offline Registered User
    my 5mo LO has been sttn since 3mo and i've never woke her up for feedings, like other mommies has mentioned...sleeping is good for baby's growth. My LO is fully bfed and nurses every 2 hours during the day, i don't really count the number of times she feeds but she takes about 4oz when she was 3mo.