Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By howardcoombs
  • 1 Post By carang
  • 1 Post By carang

Best local primary schools

floridamom is offline Registered User

Best local primary schools

My 2 sons are 2 and 4. I am looking into local schools with the medium mandarin. My husband is fluent and will be working in central. What are some of the local schools near that people have had positive experiences with - with English speaking children. I am trying to gigure out where to live, but I have heard that u decide on the school first. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    (1) there are not many local schools that use mandarin as the medium of instruction as the local language is cantonese.
    (2) you do not decide upon schools so much as apply to as many as you can and hope for an acceptance. international schools are notoriously difficult to get into. the best local schools have VERY stringent criteria and are just as competitive.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    If you want Mandarin medium education, there are very few choices. I'm not aware of any free (govt) ones.

If you are on a budget, you should look into KCS.
    If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford the fees, look at : YCIS, ISF, CIS
    carang likes this.

floridamom is offline Registered User
    Thanks

So are the mediums Cantonese for all the govt schools? If we move out in 2 months the schools have already started. Aren't my chances really low to get in mid semester? I guess that is why I was thinking local first.

yes, your chances will be lower, but not impossible.

most gov't schools use cantonese (it being the mother tongue of 95% of the population), the others use English. i don't know of any that use mandarin (not that they don't exist. they might, i've just not heard of them.)

there is a local school in sai kung, called LEE SIU YAM MEMORIAL PRIMARY SCHOOL. they have an english stream and a cantonese stream. my son attends in the chinese stream. while not perfect, we are quite happy with the school. i'm not fussed about the english as he gets that at home, but i am very glad he's learning the cantonese reading and writing as well as speaking.

the staff is very friendly and helpful. you may want to give them a call. they don't start the year until sept 3... so you won't be missing as much as with an int'l school, which start this week and next.
    floridamom likes this.

oh, yeah...the fees for LSY is $0/month.
    floridamom likes this.