Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Switching between breast and bottle - feeding

Kaymama is offline Registered User

Switching between breast and bottle - feeding

Hi all. My two month baby is having issues latching onto bottles. I'm hoping to get her to adapt to both bottle and breast feeding. Ive already tried several brands of bottles/nipples but still can't get her to latch on. She keeps pushing the bottle nipple out with her tongue. Any one have insights/tips on this problem? Thanks!

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User
    Try the nuk latex teats. They tend to be softer & more like the breast. Your baby may just prefer you to the bottle so try to have someone else give the bottle feed without you around. My son went through a stage where he wouldn't take the bottle unless I was out of the house!

Thx MRS for your advice. I'll give that a try!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I use born free bottles and never had a problem with baby latching on to them. Bottle strike is another issue entirely! Keep trying different nipples. Also cup feeding or spoon feeding milk is another option until you sort out the bottle latching.

slin is offline Registered User
    is this the first time you are introducing bottle to your LO? My LO has a tendency to reject bottle at certain age (once at about 2mo and another time at about 4mo) and re-accepts it after a week or so. I believe its just a phase especially if your LO has been bfed exclusively...he/she would definitely prefer the comfort from direct latching :)

jwc209 is offline Registered User
    trying warming the milk. I introduced bottle to my baby when she was 2 month old. It was such a struggle in the beginning until I figured out she would only drink warmed milk and now she takes the bottle with no problem.

Thanks for the advices so far. Here's an update: during this process, I refrained myself to breast feed during the day and had my mom assist with the feeding. I also chose to settle with one type of bottle and chose medela wide nipple. She seemed to have no problem latching onto the bottle when she is hungry but the problem now is she seems to be snacking rather than drinking continuously. She drinks only 1.5oz every 3 hrs or so...after the 1.5 oz she would stop and push the nipple away with her tongue. At times she wouldnt take the bottle for up to 5 hours during the day..but would drink more say about 2.5 oz...Note that she just turned 2mo last week and I'm positive she drinks more when I breastfeed her. Is this normal? I'm on my third day and the routine still remains to be the same..could she loose weight going forward?