Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Australia trip suggestions pls!

dpmother is offline Registered User
    nicolejoey & newbie_hk, thanks so much for the useful info :)
    we were checking the farm options as well.... isnt it cool to be a part of farm activites, feed the pets there etc.....
    (oh u are actually staying with them) has anyone explored this part ?
    more info on melbourne pls ?

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    We spent 5 lovely days on the Gold Coast doing nothing in particular except heading out to the beach everyday, building sand castles, running along the shore and visiting sea world, star gazing at night. We rented an apartment right along the beach where we could cook and wash our children's clothes (hence didn't always have to head out for dinner) and the children had a blast.
    I agree with others, traveling with children it's best to limit travel time as it can get very tedious for you both.

Thanks mummymoo,
    we are skipping gold coast.

Can any one give hotel recommendations for Syd & Mel - in city center with easy access to public transport? We wont have a rented car. Any serviced apts to suggest? We are looking for low cost options but location is important.

In Mel we would like to do 2 day farm stays? Do you have any suggestions? The ones we checked seem to be quite expensive - AUD200 per person per night! We definitely want to stay on farms but i am wondering if AUD200 is simply too high..

We would stay 3 days in Mel city centre. Any suggestions for hotels / service apt in Mel?

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    We just came back from a 3 week long trip to Australia. We went to Adelaide initially, after a couple of days we drove to Melbourne, stayed there for a week at a service apartment in the heart if the city, then flew to Sydney from Melbourne, hired a car and drove most of the time there as well. Then back to Melbourne , picked up our car and drove back to Adelaide through the great ocean road. So overall, we had a week each in Sydney Melbourne and Adelaide. Sydney was great fun with kids, we enjoyed the great weather and places around. Melbourne weather was too cold, with rain most of the days. But places around Melbourne were great too. A couple of places like Phillipe island, mornington peninsula , the twelve apostles were fun. driving around did save us a lot of time and energy with kids.
    If you wish to see the city, public transport is easy, but if you wish to See the islands or farms it's better to hire a car.
    Do let me know if you need any specific information..

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    If I've read and interpreted everything correctly, the OP wants to go to Oz for 10 days. Wants to visit 2 or maybe 3 cities. Perhaps even throw in a farm stay in there for a couple of days. No car, rely on public transport and have an under 2 toddler along for the ride.

This will not be a pleasant nor relaxing vacation for anyone involved. I would suggest pick a, single, 1 destination to fly into and stay there for the duration. From there, you can make all kinds of day time excursions here and there and everywhere. Whichever major city you pick will have plenty on offer to keep a 2 year old and parents busy enough for 10 days. Sydney is nice, Melbourne is fine, Gold Coast is pretty; heck even Perth or Darwin would be cool for 10 days.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    It's not impossible but I think you'll struggle to get to a farm without a car. Agree with Howard, max 2 cities and just weave your way relaxing around the town, there's tonnes to do but being on public transport all day is not it...and let's face it, Australian public transport is not 1/10th the efficiency of HK so you could be waiting ages for your train/tram/bus especially on the weekend.
    For a farm experience in the city try the collingwood petting farm
    http://www.farm.org.au/

Goodluck! Also I would suggest to head to the nearest supermarket and load up on snacks/bread ect for the kids as cafe food, even really mediocre stuff is extremely pricey in Australia. Basically Great supermarket prices but not as nice (in my opinion).

Thanks mummymoo for d reply & d link. Usually v carry a lot of home cooked snacks for d baby. Does Australia permit us to carry d same? How abt baby formula? What should I keep in mind while packing d food articles?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks shwetakhanna & howardcombs for ur replies... Have any of u done farm stay? Any recos on d same?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast