Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Australia trip suggestions pls!

dpmother is offline Registered User

Australia trip suggestions pls!

Hello there!*
    We are thinking of taking a holiday to Australia for 10-11days with our 21 month old toddler. Seek advice on places to see, cities to visit, hotel stay, any special pointers to be taken care of, with a toddler along?*
    Appreciate your useful suggestions pls.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    we rented an RV for a month with our then 3.5 year old and our 1.5 year old. we had an absolute blast! there is so much to see and do! we need more information about your families likes and dislikes to be able to offer ideas....

thanks cara for the prompt reply.... we are confused to which cities to visit...sydney, melbourne, goldcoast ?
    wondering we should do all of these or 1 can be skipped.... dont want to make it a tiring journey...keeping in mind we have a very active toddler with us....on the other hand dont want to miss out on the must-to-c places as well.... any pointers, suggestions will be much appreciated. pls suggest..need to book the tickets soon...sept end is the target...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Australia is a BIG place - driving from Melbourne to the Gold Coast is about 22 hrs or so of driving time, so if you're only going for 10 days, you'd have to drive for 2-3 hrs a day, and be in a different city each night, on average. If I had just 10 days, I'd consider doing Sydney-Brisbane in an RV, there's lots of nice coastal towns along the way (Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Port Macquarie to name a few) and could stay 2 nights in some places and spend less time driving. I think that between Sydney-Melbourne, there's less to see and do personally. Alternatively, you could spend 5 days in Sydney then fly to Brisbane/Gold Coast (or Melbourne) and spent another 5 days up there. You'll have heaps to do in both places, and spend less time on the road.

When I was a kid, we did an RV trip around New Zealand and it was one of my best holidays ever! Just really plan it out so that you're not driving all day every day and don't have time to enjoy it.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Agree with Nicole Joy, personally for that length of time I'd probably choose the fly between Sydney and Gold coast so you don't spend so much time driving (I love Melbourne and have lived there the most,but for a holiday I think thats a better option). Especially with a toddler. We did a road trip from Melb via Canberra and then back down the coast from just south of Sydney before we moved to hong Kong (kids were 3 and 9 mths) and while we had a ball it was still a lot of driving. And much higher chance of arguments if you get lost,although it is hard to do its not impossible.

Have done it pre kids Sydney to brisbane if you are going to drive that is a better trip for reasons NJ gave. There are some great places to stay.

On the other hand if you're into food and fashion,go to Melbourne!!

thanks nicole & tnt for ur replies...
    guess we are freezing with sydney & mel.....
    well we will not be driving ourselves..hoping the public transport is effecient...(as good as hk ?)
    pls suggest things to do & see in sydney & mel...keeping in mind the active toddler :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I know Sydney much better than Melbourne. The public transport is not fantastic, but it suffices. Make sure that you check the timetable online at http://www.cityrail.info/ because to some places, trains may only come every 30 to 60 min so don't want to just miss one!

Some places to go around Sydney:
    - Taronga Zoo - one of the best in the world, in my opinion. Can't beat the view of the harbour behind the giraffe enclosure!
    - Aquarium in Darling Harbour
    - Blue Mountains (about 1 or 1.5 hrs away, I think, via train)

If you're doing the Gold Coast, that's where the best theme parks are. For little ones, sea world is fun - similar to Ocean Park but (in my opinion) better, cleaner and more polite ;) Probably more displays/shows but less rides from memory...

In all three cities, the cities are really nice - I like just hanging out in the city. In Darling Harbour (Sydney), there is a fantastic park with a water play area, last time we were in the city, we spent about 1-2 hrs with my daughter just running around in the water in her undies - reminds me of my own childhood!! Brisbane has a gorgeous area like that too, with artificial beaches etc. I forget what it's called but I love it!

Circular Quay (Sydney) is beautiful too, leave a bit of time and watch the street performers. I love them as well. Make sure you catch a ferry or two, can't beat Sydney Harbour!

End of Sept is just starting to warm up but not really THAT warm yet. Personally I like warm better than cold so I'd prefer Sydney/Gold Coast to Syd/Melbourne. The weather should be great, it's a nice time of year.

There's some of my ideas - hope that helps :)

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Nicolejoy is spot on with her suggestions for Sydney. I would add a trip to Manly beach. You can take the ferry & have a lovely stroll by the beachside and there are playgrounds by the beach. they also have the manly aquarium for kids to see.*

You can also go to Powerhouse museum which has exhibits and lots of touch and feel stuff for children. They have a small outdoor playground and I distinctly recall that I was impressed by their kid's meal/lunch box since it was healthy and substantial.*

Tip: child friendly places to eat at darling harbour: Crinitis (Italian) & James Squire along King street (pub food). My criteria for child friendly restaurants is that they have kid's meals, activity sheets and crayons. James squires also has face painting and balloons on Sundays.*

Public transport is not as efficient at HK. I don't know if they have it here in but What I love are the buses with designated pram/disabled areas at the front of the bus so you don't have to fold your pram.*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast