Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Does it matter which travel documents I apply for first for my baby?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Back to the OP, the Consulate (actually its a Passport Canada rule) asks for both parents present for the passport application for your children. (If one parent cannot be there, you need to bring a photo and signature ID of the absent parent so they can check signatures on the form. But this is for subsequent renewal ppts, not sure if it's ok the first time.)

For citizenship applications, only one patent is needed.

roam is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    Back to the OP, the Consulate (actually its a Passport Canada rule) asks for both parents present for the passport application for your children. (If one parent cannot be there, you need to bring a photo and signature ID of the absent parent so they can check signatures on the form. But this is for subsequent renewal ppts, not sure if it's ok the first time.)

For citizenship applications, only one patent is needed.
    I tried to do apply for a Canadian Passport when my first was born in 2008 without his father (my fiancé back then). They said it was possible, but you had to fill out a form of some sort and get the Canadian Embassy wherever the other parent is overseas to witness the partner sign the form. At least that was what Passport Canada told me back then. The problem was that the Canadian Embassy in Australia and Passport Canada could not agree on which form he needed to sign, so we decided it was simpler for him to just come back and we will both be present for the application.
    So, to the OP, if you want to apply for the Canadian Passport by yourself, make sure to call the Canadian Embassy here and Passport Canada to figure out what the process is.
    Also, both times applying for passports for my children(2008 and 2011), the officer there peered at my kids to make sure that the photo is them so I would bring them with you to the passport office, even if it is a pain.

chrischen377 is offline Registered User
    Here's the reply I received from the Consulate

~~~

# 1

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each passport application. If your child was born abroad and you have not yet applied for their Canadian citizenship certificate, you will need to do that before submitting a passport application. If possible, you should consider deferring all travel plans until the certificate is received from the processing centre in Canada. For citizenship cards, this can be a very lengthy process so we urge you to submit the application as soon as possible after the birth of your child.

Following submission of the citizenship application, if travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel, airline ticket or airline e-ticket, as supporting documentation to assess the case. As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the original proof of Canadian citizenship from one of the parents, the original foreign birth certificate showing both parents' names, original marriage certificate of the parents (optional), and the receipt confirming submission of the citizenship application. Our passport examiners will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child’s travel needs.

Please note that citizenship applications may take about 12 to 14 months to process. As most countries in Asia require 6 months validity on the passport to travel, it is not in your best interests to apply for the limited validity passport if you have no immediate travel plans. We suggest you wait until you have fixed plans for travel and submit an application at that time.

# 2

A guarantor is required for each passport application whether it is your first application or whether you have previously been issued a Canadian passport. The guarantor is a vital component of your application process as they certify the information on your application is true as well as verify your likeness on the photograph to be placed in the new passport. Essentially, the guarantor is a requirement, not an option.

However, if you have not lived in Hong Kong or Macao for a minimum period of two years, it is reasonable that you will not be able to find a guarantor in the jurisdiction who will have known you for two years. As such, please provide your mailing address to obtain the PPT 132 form, “Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor.” This form cannot be downloaded from the internet and must be submitted in original format.

The statutory declaration may be notarized in our office for an additional fee HKD395.

The PPT 132 Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor requires substantial background information. You are advised to fully complete the form before presenting your documents to our office. In addition to your personal details, you will need to provide your residential addresses for the past 5 years, where you have been working or studying for the past 5 years, and also supply the names of two people who have known you for two years or more and are not your relatives to act as references. Your two references do not need to reside in Hong Kong or Macao but must be available by phone to verify your details. We are required to check both references before a new passport can be issued to you.

Guarantor requirements: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.a...=international

In addition, we reserve the right to see the applicant, the child or the other parent upon request by the officers during the processing time. We do not accept appointment. It is a walk-in basis.

Citizenship application & info: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...u_id=17&view=d
    Child's first Canadian passport: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nt.aspx?view=d

For more information, please visit www.hongkong.gc.ca.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123