Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

When should my mom and MIL come to visit?

fusciaskies is offline Registered User

When should my mom and MIL come to visit?

Hi ladies, I am in my second trimester and planning when I'd like my mom and MIL to visit when the baby is born. I've been reading some of the older posts and some of you ladies have said that when the first baby arrives, it's a very special time for the hubby, mom and the baby and it may be better to spend some quality time together privately before having the grandmothers visit. Any thoughts and experiences on this? Is it helpful for them to be there right at the birth to help out (I will have hired a helper by then) or do you recommend having them visit a few weeks after when things have settled down a bit. Also, how long is a reasonable amount of time for them to visit?

alfa is offline Registered User
    Id give a couple of weeks to figure things out for yourself.The last thing you want is too many pairs of hands and opinions.I actually experienced the fights between the grandparents over who should hold the baby etc. On day 4 of their visit i locked myself in my bedroom and ordered them to leave the house and go somewhere for a day-yes hormones were running high at that point;) I really cherished the first 4 days my husband and i had with the baby.Newborns require very little but sleep and food and yiu will do great on your own.I was freaking out before the birth and then it all just kicked in and sorted itself out.

carang is offline Registered User
    most definitely a few weeks later.

you and hubby have been a couple for a while and the two of you need to learn how to be a family without the well-meaning interferance of grandma's and how they used to do things. you two need to learn how you will do things.

my mum not coming for the birth was a great gift that i didnt appreciate until long afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

sorry should read grandmas....but cannot correct on mobile.

how long they visit depends on where they are coming from & your relationship with them.

i can handle my mum for a month or more, but my MIL drives me crazy within a couple of hours....;-)

rani is offline Administrator
    I would also wait a few weeks. We had visitors at 2 weeks, and in hindsight it was too early as it took me a while to get the hang of nursing/pumping.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

charade is offline Registered User
    I had my mom come from day 1 because I wanted the help with my baby (even though I also had a helper). I am very comfortable with my mom and I knew she would help but leave decisions to me. My baby turned out to be difficult (colic, reflux) and having my mom there was a lifesaver. I am if the opinion of the more hands to help out the better but they must be hands you are comfortable with. My in laws came only after three months when my mom left. This is the done thing in Indian cultureso my in laws accepted it. For my second baby my husband actually asked.., can yourom come? He knew that my mom was an immense physical and emotional help to me first time around. So if you can have an extra pair of hands you are really comfortable with go for it. I would advice against having both grandparents visit at the same. Grandchildren seem to bring out competitive instincts and you don't want to be soothing egos at that time.
    rani and carang like this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    It depends on a lot of things but I'll tell you my experience.

When I gave birth to my first child I was in the States and was staying with my mother in her house. That was really tough after the baby was born because in a way we felt a bit "smothered" and also "watched." I'm sure that wasn't the intention of my mother or my other family members but sometimes they were "too helpful" and this caused a lot of stress. We eventually went to stay with friends in their guest house just to get a little break.

With my second child we were in Hong Kong and we had a helper that we knew well and trusted (she had already been with us for over a year). My parents-in-law visited us in the hospital after the baby was born and that was fine. My mother and my step-father waited until our daughter was 5-weeks-old to visit and that was perfect. They stayed with us for about 10 days--they had a separate part of the house to themselves so we weren't "on top of" each other the whole time. My mom had lived in HK before so she was familiar enough to go out with my step-dad without us. I would say that them visiting at 5 weeks was a perfect time--it was right before I was due back at work and I had recovered enough from birth that I had more energy to go out and do things and "play hostess" and also I had worked through a few of my early breastfeeding problems so that made it easier.

I'd say you'll need at least a month and if this is your first child, definitely longer before you feel good enough and settled enough to have live-in company.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast