Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

American mom's need suggestions !!

sfolola is offline Registered User
    Hi Sherry5,

Welcome to Hong Kong! Looks like you have gotten some good advice from PP; I just want to add that the comment that you can "get everything" in HK is true, but there's a mark up and don't expect to find anything that is a specialty item. I stock up on vitamins from Whole Foods, Advil, our favorite Vermont maple syrup, and Annie's fruit chew bunnies when I go back to the US, just as an example of how specific the specialty item needs to be.

Stroller-wise, definitely an umbrella stroller is the way to go; there are stairs and narrow walkways everywhere here, and portability is key. We have a Maclaren. Good luck!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wanted to say that regarding wet-wipes...we buy them at local pharmacies here in HK and they were actually cheaper for the brand we use than they are in the States. We use Huggies natural care (no perfume) and last time I looked they were anywhere from 28-36 HKD for a large refill pack (will last us about a 3 weeks for my daughter) which evens out to less than $5 USD. So, sometimes the mark-ups you'll find in the chain grocery stores aren't there if you know where else to look. I've become an expert at sourcing better and cheaper deals on products we often use and have relied on this and other local websites to find what I'm looking for as well.

Also, I've found that my taste in food has actually changed since living here. Things that were staples of my American diet I lived so long without and then when I go back to the States, I think, "Why did I think these were so hard to live without? What's the big deal?" The things I really wish I could get (fresh, organic, decently-priced produce) can't be carried in luggage from the States anyway. And in the same way things that are really luxury items where I'm from (fresh coconut juice straight from the coconut) are comparatively cheap here so I am able to enjoy them more often. It takes awhile but if you're here "for good" as you indicated in your original post and you take the time I'm sure some of the "must-haves" from the States will fade and be replaced by great things you can get here too.
    Sherry5 likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Coco123 is offline Registered User
    North Point

Sherry5 is offline Registered User
    lovely .. thankyou swwich & Coco123 on more inputs .. Its like I am getting more n more info from all ur experiences !!!

swwich is offline Registered User
    Oooh, I do agree on stocking up on Advil (can't get that in HK) and Tylenol, etc. brandname meds. Tylenol in HK is Panadol. We also get our supplies of Infant Tylenol and cold meds for the kids. I find those properly packaged syrups generally less suspicious than the orange bottles you get from the pediatrician's offices here.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Advil == ibuprofen
    Tylenol (and Panadol) == acetaminophen/paracetamol

You can get these drugs, in generic form readily in many places. The brand name versions are more expensive it would be a waste of money and space bringing them over. May as well get used to local versions since OP is moving here for good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12