Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

IVF support group?

soldn is offline Registered User

IVF support group?

Hi all

I have just arrived in HK and am going to do my second round of IVF in September. I was wondering if there are any support groups in HK, as I don't really know anyone here yet? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi. I don't know whether there are any formal support groups. When I did my first round of IVF in 2010 we had a bit of a support group going on this website through one of the threads, we never met up though. It was just around 4 or 5 of us who were going through IVF at the same time. I haven't seen anything similar since. It was great to just have the online support though to be honest.

This very old thread (2004) lists some groups that may still be up and running - IVF Support Groups

I was lucky and conceived on the first frozen embryo transfer of my first round of IVF. Since then we've tried for a second with another full cycle of IVF and several more FETs but with no success. Just starting cycle number 3.

Wish you all the best for yours in September.

Hi

Thanks for your response and for the thread. Online support sounds great, I agree. If anyone is interested in an online support group or a meet-up support group, please let me know.

Liquorice, good luck with cycle number 3, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! When is it and where are you doing it?

S

Sapphire40 is offline Registered User
    Hi Soldn,

I did my first cycle in June this year. We manage to conceive and had twins but I lost one. I am now 11 weeks with one and praying this one hangs on, having been on bed rest for the last 5 weeks. I had 2 IUI cycles first neither of which worked, in hindsight, I wish I had done IVF straight away as i am 39 but c'est la vie. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I was apprehensive at first but actually didn't find the process all that bad. Looking back now it actually put a big strain on both of us although at the time you are so focused on the drugs, the scans and when it is all going to happen. Especially if you are both working full time so you need to try not to put pressure on yourselves.

Thanks Sapphire40, best of luck!! I can only imagine how difficult it must be, but I hope you'll have the all clear soon. How much longer to you need to be on bed rest? Which hospital did you go to in HK? I am 30, we did one IUI and then we went straight to IVF back home in June, which didn't work. I'll be doing my second cycle in September in HK and really hope it works...

I hear what you are saying about the strain on a marriage - if you could go back, what things could be done differently? I would be very grateful for any advice on this - I don't realise the strain it is putting on us now, but again, I think it's because we are focused on the outcome. Several people have told me this, by the way.

Good luck for the next few days, I hope it all sorts itself out soon for you.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Soldn, how long have you been trying? Do you know what the problem is? You're still very young you know, though time does go by quickly. I am 37 and my doctor was always saying I was still quite young in IVF terms.

Regarding strain and what to do differently...I think you have to keep in mind success rates, and so not be too disheartened when fertility treatment doesn't work. My doctor was telling me recently that an average woman, with no fertility problems, has a 1 in 10 chance of conceiving at each cycle trying naturally. IVF (at my age) only gives a 30% chance of success. But IVF success would only be a 50% chance with a person with no fertility problems at all, as there is no natural selection of eggs - you're trying to use any and all of them, many of which would have no chance of being a viable embryo. It is tough when it fails, but it is important to keep your spirits up. Up until recently I think my expectations were too high, but now I see it a bit differently. It doesn't make it easy as such, but if you end up doing it long term it makes it more bearable - I still always spend the 2 week wait convincing myself that it won't work so that I won't be disappointed when it doesn't, but then when it doesn't I am gutted for a while - but after a few days I pick myself up again, and off we go.

Your first IVF cycle, did you have any embryos left to freeze? I have always done a 2 or 3 day transfer, and ended up with 4 or 5 embryos to do FETs with. This time I am going for a 5 day transfer, which is riskier as I may end up with no embryos, but at least we'll know any remaining embryos are good quality.

Good luck Sapphire. Hope everything is okay. How long will you have to stay on bedrest for?

Sapphire40 is offline Registered User
    I agree with liquorice on the point about expectations. I think the other thing is the affect the drugs have on your body and state of mind. I got incredibly grumpy and started taking it out on my husband whilst using the IVF as an excuse, he works very long hours and tries hard but it got a bit too much for him coming home to what was frankly an unpleasant wife (I am not normally like that). He felt like he was treading on egg shells all the time. Things have changed now I am pregnant and I recognise now how bad I got so when I feel like that again, I have to make sure I think before I speak so I don't sound like a nagging bossy cow. It's much better, but I got quite obsessed with the whole process and my life revolved around the scans and the drugs and it became all about me. There are two of you involved in the process although admittedly it is a lot tougher on the woman. However it can't be pleasant for the bloke when his perfectly charming wife starts to behave like the monster from hell :-) well not quite that bad but you need to recognise when/if this happens and try and manage it. It doesn't do anyone any good if you end up sniping and arguing all the time.

I did a 5 day transfer, and still have 6 embryo's frozen. I think that if the embryos make it to 5 days they are more likely to last in the womb (I could be wrong). I had two embryos that got to day 2 but died at day 4. I think if you are older they recommend 5 day transfer. Also, once the embryos have implanted I believe that symptoms such as bloat and nausea are a lot worse because of the extra progesterone you will be having to take so be aware of that. I was so sick I could hardly get out of bed for two weeks.

I'm hopefully on bed rest for another few days but depends on what the doc says on Monday. If there are still signs of bleeding he might keeps me on bed rest until week 13 although I don't actually feel too bad apart from tired. I'm resigned to it now, and still not overly excited as there's still time to go wrong. Might be a pessimistic view but it's easier to deal with that way if it doesn't work out. Fingers and everything else all crossed though :-)

Sold - where are you having your IVF? I see Dr Doo, and did the egg collection and embryo transfer at the Sanatorium which was really good. Good luck with it all.

Readytobemummy is offline Registered User
    Hi
    I am looking for doctor in HK for IVF too , I am moved to here since last year
    any doctor recommend in HK Island

thank you in advance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast