Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to Discovery Bay looking at Primary Schools

Yuster is offline Registered User

Moving to Discovery Bay looking at Primary Schools

Hi,

We're planning to move to HK next spring, when my son will be 4 (will be 5 in October 2013) and really need some advice on schooling!

Hoping to move to Discovery Bay, but as I understand it there are only 2 primary schools available there? My question is, if my son cant get into these schools where have other parents sent their children. I'm a BBC so he knows some cantonese but not much, so I presume he'll not be accepted in a local school?

Any help on this or schooling in general would really be appreciated

Many Thanks!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuster View Post
    Hi, We're planning to move to HK next spring, when my son will be 4 (will be 5 in October 2013) and really need some advice on schooling!
    You're looking at one of the toughest places to find schools. Would you not reconsider and move somewhere else, a location that is more conveniently located and closer to a wider variety of schools?
    Hoping to move to Discovery Bay, but as I understand it there are only 2 primary schools available there?
    Your understanding is incorrect. There are 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Bay#Education
    My question is, if my son cant get into these schools where have other parents sent their children.
    Usually to a school on the island. There are very few that send them to schools on Kowloon side as well. Be prepared for commutes over an hour each way.
    I'm a BBC so he knows some cantonese but not much, so I presume he'll not be accepted in a local school?
    Age 4.5 is a little bit late but I dont see any reason why your child would not be accepted unless he has some special needs. If he is a normal kid, they should take him in. He will struggle for a few months to catch up but he'll be just fine as kids that age are just sponges.