Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By howardcoombs

Going to have an elective induction? Manufacturer's words on pitocin/syntocin...

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Going to have an elective induction? Manufacturer's words on pitocin/syntocin...

What does the manufacturer of pitocin say about its product? It would be good to know before you opt for an elective induction.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    The manufacturer of the product actually said this :

What you have linked to is an article by a group with their own agenda. I must give them credit : They are very good at selective quoting...

If parents are worried about use of such drugs during pregnancies, they should do careful research easily found materials and discuss implications with their doctors.

Note: I have no opinion one way or the other on this induction issue, however I dislike seeing creative interpretations of documents to drive agendas.
    nicolejoy likes this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Agree with Howard here. There is plenty of misinformation and misquoting out there. Best to ask your doctor about any reservations you have, seek a second opinion if you are unsatisfied or ask him/her what web resources that he/she would recommend you look up for more information, then ask again.
    In terms of people avoiding pitocin, I have heard of one HORRIFIC case where the mother refused to be induced when she had a large number of indications to do so, related to misinformation she had been fed/read, AGAINST her doctor's strong advice. It resulted in a full term stillbirth.
    Pitocin should not be used on a whim but nor should it be completely disregarded in the right medical scenario. That is what your doctor is paid to do, balance these risk and benefits for you, and if you feel he/she is not doing that then you need to find one that you feel is.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I agree with Howard and Mummymoo.
    I am also for the most natural method possible. And I have a healthy dose of skepticism for what Hong Kong doctors / pharmaceutical giants try to sell people.
    But I am also against fearmongering in the other direction. Sometimes, modern medicine is needed.
    I did a pre-natal class with a freelance midwife (mistake -- should have gone for one of the agencies) who was so against all drugs, and so rabidly against all doctors, that she scared the living daylights out of me and my husband. She said "When you go to the hospital, be ready to fight!" That's not the calmest encouragement.

I had planned a natural birth. But then I was in a pre-labor / early labor limbo from Wednesday morning to Friday morning. Finally, my very reasonable doctor -- who had followed my whole pregnancy -- discussed induction. He was not pushy like many HK doctors. But he cited a good list of factors -- fetal distress, maternal exhaustion meaning that I couldn't push well. Because induced labors are more painful, he recommended a "walking epidural", in which I would still have feeling and movement, but not so much pain. I went with it.

Thank god I did. Even with Picotin and suction, it still took an additional 7 hours for baby to come out. Later, my doctor told me my induction saved me from having an emergency C-section, which would have been WAY worse.

I had no negative side effects from the induction or epidural, despite what that midwife said. And despite the horror stories that midwife told, I healed quickly and easily from the episiotomy and suction. The next morning after my birth, I was up and about with my healthy baby.

Do read online, and do try for a natural route. But don't feel frightened or guilty about choosing medicine, too. It really can help in some cases.