Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Why is Victoria so popular?! My son doesn't seem to like it there..

miran is offline Registered User
    Hi Roshan,

Would it be possible to give me details of the cantonesetutor you hired. We were looking for one.

Thanks

Roshna is offline Registered User
    Lesliefu is spot-on. We had to converse with the Class teacher in broken english but i could get my work done/ information needed, etc. Each teacher spoke to my child in the language they teach and the canto teacher was kind enough to give mine short english phrases to help him out.

My kids now go to an ESF primary.

I feel Victoria also allowed the kids to be creative. They used recycled stuff to make one big Xmas deco every year (of course, mom and dad had to help big time!) and lots of other artsy stuff in class.

I started off not too happy but in hindsight, it was good for all of us. I was active with the school - volunteered for field trips, in school reading, attended whatever i needed to, etc. And i saw most of the kids really improve in speaking and gaining confidence over their time there. And they were generally always happy.

Miran - let me check if she's available and wanting to tutor and I'll get back to you.
    carang likes this.

miran is offline Registered User
    Thank you Roshan

Roshna is offline Registered User
    Just sent you a PM Miran.

carang is offline Registered User
    but to find that all out, you had to give it more than a month, right? honestly, i deal with very little ones all the time. some kids take to a new environment like a fish to water, while others take a little more time and still others take 6 months or more.... to attend a few classes for less than a month and then decide that it isn't for you, is really your choice. but to then wonder what others see in it is a little too little, too late. obviously, everyone has their likes and dislikes with a place. all places have their pros and cons.... no place is perfect. but victoria has been around for quite a while and is sought after... there must be something there that you didn't hang around to find out about.

blessed is offline Registered User
    hi there, we are looking at applying for the 2013 kindergarten intake at Victoria for our son who is turning two next month.

given that we have just relocated to north point area, we are considering the harbour heights or causeway bay campus, anyone has any experience to share?

chrcheu is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for sharing, really appreciate it! After reading your comments, I realized there is not a right answer to the question, no school is perfect, some like it better some like it less, it really all depends on how it suits your children. To be honest, my son is a very calm child, and it takes him longer time to get along with others, and he is the only child with alot of attention at home. I found that in Victoria, a class of 25 kids and a rather packed schedule is too busy for him. Since he was 1, he attended Highgate House until now, for those who know this Steiner school, Highgate's style and environment are completely different from Victoria, guess this is why it is hard for both of us to adapt.

Just wanted to share that I have a strong believe that children should be encouraged to be creative when they are young more than anything, academics like reading, math, they will eventually learn, but as they grow older and learn about the reality, they tend to stick to the norms and creativity loses. Come to think about it, there are millions of hardworking people who became successful, but those outstanding ones, those who are innovative and made the world move one step forward (I always use Bill Gates or Steve Jobs as example =P) were not so much straight A students in school. That's why I had been looking for this in Victoria but couldnt.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    it is great that you now know to focus on your child and which type of schooling is suitable for him. i must add though that victoria too will and is capable of grooming outstanding kids that are innovative and move the work one step forward. kids are in school but half the day - when they come home, the home environment is crucial in supporting and providing the child with the necessary elements to build and develop into a well-rounded individual. i do agree - academics, kids will eventually learn...but how well they learn depends on their internal motivation to learn and study, it doesn't just come. creativity is important but schools cannot do it on their own, parental involvement is crucial and the environment outside of the classroom is equally important.

straight As are important to some - my daughters teachers at Victoria keep on telling me to let my daughter grow at her own pace, and that being able to complete the tasks 100% is not the important thing (since I was asking for review materials as my daughter has a learning delay) but that the PROCESS of learning was what I should be focusing on. so really it depends very much on the teacher and your communication with them.

i am glad to hear that you know victoria is not the school for your son, based on his learning style, that is a great thing! he can now go to a place that is better adapted to his style of learning and your expectations on him as a learner. it's a great thing for your son! i truly believe that.
    carang and slin like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast