Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Why is Victoria so popular?! My son doesn't seem to like it there..

chrcheu is offline Registered User

Unhappy Why is Victoria so popular?! My son doesn't seem to like it there..

Hi all, I am a new comer, never really read forum, but the debate between my hub and me over local and international schools has got us nowhere! Really would like some advice from all of you!

I was raised in the states and didn't really like the HK spoon fed education system, so naturally, since my son was 9 months old, I put him in two international kindergartens for playgroup, and again natually we only speak English with him. Now that my son doesn't speak Chinese at all, and my hub thinks it's not acceptable, so this month, we sent him to Victoria.

I have gone to class with my son for almost a month, both my son and I cannot adapt to the environment. The teachers, atmosphere, everthing are just different. My son used to be very happy in playgroup, now he asks to go home whenever in class... I don't know if it is because he doesn't understand chinese or what.

I was quite ready to move him back to where he went, but a thought stopped me: there must be a reason why Victoria is so popular?! I spent quite an effort to get him in, should I just let it go?

Any advice please....I have only 1 more week to decide..

Biggie is offline Registered User
    If you want him to get into good local primary school in local system (or the Victoria primary), then stay. From what I heard this is one of the top local kindy so lots of kids from Victoria get into good local school and that's why it's so popular. You can keep him in international kindy as well for a couple days a week to keep your options open?
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    honestly, a month isn't very long at all. it WILL take time for you both to adapt to the changes. same could happen again when he starts primary school.

biggie's suggestions are good.

Hah i'm starting to like forums! Thanks for your replies!
    I guess it all goes down to the question whether I want my son to go to local school. Regardless of how reputable some local schools are, they are under hk education system, which in my impression is spoon fed and lacks flexibility and creativity.
    Victoria's prenursery is 5 days a week, can't really sqeeze some days in other school...

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my kids have done kindergarten in a local school and now, my son is entering P2 in a local chinese medium school. while it's not perfect, no school is. I am sure that i would have some issues with any school I chose. They would just be different problems/issues. On the plus side? my son and daughter are now pretty much bilingual and my son is well on his way to being bi-literate, something that would not have happened if they'd been enrolled in many of the int'l schools.

that said, local schools are not for everyone. for us, language ability is very important. i'm canadian (white) and my hubby is local chinese. i wanted my kids to be able to communicate with ALL of their family, not just one side. as we use english at home 99% of the time, they only way my kids would ever be bilingual was if they attended a local chinese-medium school. i figure they get the "creativity" and "imaginative play" at home, so it's not like they aren't getting any of that at all, it just isn't being provided at school.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by chrcheu View Post
    Regardless of how reputable some local schools are, they are under hk education system, which in my impression is spoon fed and lacks flexibility and creativity.
    Your impression is simply wrong. You should do more research.

As an example, there is a world of difference between Precious Blood primary school, St Pauls Convent primary school, St Stephens Primary school and Mary Knoll. They are all under HK education system but they are vastly different in approach. Go, look, talk to students/parents/teachers and then make up your mind.

It sounds like you've made up your mind about Victoria without even seeing the primary school.

Although i may not have done enough research on all possible primary schools i may want my child to get in since he is just turning 2, i can tell the difference between the teaching approaches between int'l kindy and local kindy, which i think will not be too far off in primaries. As i said i had made up my mind, but just wondering why victoria is so popular except the fact that students can go to good primaries, did i miss something since i only stayed there for one month?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by chrcheu View Post
    Although i may not have done enough research.....did i miss something since i only stayed there for one month?
    Yes, you missed something - you missed the opportunity to learn about the place while you were there, ask the different parents (local and expats) why they chose the school and why they are staying, discuss with teachers what makes the school different and special....

Since you've made up your mind, what is the point of discussing this further. You've made your choice and I hope you and your family will be happy with it going forward.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast