Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Toy Library

aadu is offline Registered User

Toy Library

Hi everyone

I was wondering why we dont have toy library in hong kong.place where we can get all educational wooden toys on rent.

It was in India and believe me my son used to have gud time with change in toys every week.Even i was happy and content that i dont have to stuff my house with all toys with which he got bored.

Why dont we have it here? what if it starts?
    How will expat & local respond to a Toy library here in hong kong.Pls give your views?

Regards
    Aadu

genkimom is offline Registered User

I was thinking the same thing two years ago when I first came here. Before we moved to HK, my son had access to all sorts of great toys and by the time he was tired of them, it was time to return it for "new" toys. Kids get bored so quickly, it just makes sense to have a toy library. We asked around and found out there isn't such a library because folks here are total germophobes and they are afraid borrowing toys will lead to the spread of viruses like foot and mouth disease, bird flu, swine flu, etc. Considering how often HK gets epidemics, one can understand why they are so fearful of sharing things like toys.

If you are considering opening up a toy library, you would have to find a way to assure the public that your toys would be thoroughly sanitized between uses and even then there would be many people who still wouldn't use your library "just in case". Plus, there is the materialistic factor: lots of HKers like to show off the stuff they have, so having the best for baby ends up being part of their status like having the right watch or pair of shoes. They certainly wouldn't want others finding out the stuff was just on loan. But mostly, I think it is the sanitary issue that stops most people from lending out toys.

aadu likes this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

there are in fact toy libraries in Hong Kong, but they are run differently from how you would like them to be. the toy libraries in Hong Kong. also where you can borrow toys and return them afterwards, are located within the central library and you need to go there to use and borrow toys (rather than bring them to your home and return them as you suggest). it is open to the public and very popular. I believe they are open from 10am-7pm daily at the Central Library in Causeway Bay and the public library in Shatin (there might be more but I"m a HK person and only know the one in CWB).

your idea is great. i do it on a small scale with my friends. in fact as a local, many of my friends are happy about the arrangment since they too do not see a need to constantly buy new toys. to do it on a larger scale would be nice but the costs involved would be very high. you;d have to have "shops" located in convenient locations throughout HK so that people would find it convenient to borrow and return toys. another issue is - would be collecting second hand toys to be used as part of your toy library idea? if so, the "shop" that you locate will have to have sufficient storage space too...would you charge for each item borrowed or would it be like a NGO kind of thing? i always end up donating old toys to orphanages that are small scale and receive little govnt. support...

the sanitary issue, people will overcome in time...not a great worry i dont believe;

aadu likes this.

olives is offline Registered User

toy library def. sounds a great idea aadu ! as lesliefu mentioned.... v too exchange toys with a a small group of friends.
    helps to keep the toy joy / learning factor with kids. let me know if u r up for it... would love to exchange toys/books/cds....

i agree that sanitary issue is going to be priority.As a mother even i would like to get rented toys only if they are sanitized well.Other thought that comes to my mind is if i meet the basic requirement of sanitizing it to the best & keeping all wooden good quality toys will people spend 200 HKD or300 HKD every month for rent.

I am not going to start NGO but definitely would love to help the needy ones with part of income i make through my library.Also i am not going to keep any econd hand toys but all new ones.

My doubt is

1.If a rent of 200 HKD is asked for 4 Toys
    2.If a rent of 300 HKD is asked for 7 Toys in a month with some deposit fee which is refundable,how would people respond.

All toys will be ranging between 100 HKD TO 600 HKD.Now i understand as a parent we would love to buy each and every toys for our kids.But lets imagine about Toys like puzzle,Chopping game,blocks(more than 50 variety) etc by which kids really outgrow ..WILL we buy 50 puzzle for kids ? as a mother i buy may be 1-2 puzzle in 3-4 months & as soon as its done my son just throw it & i have to donate it to someone as i cant just stuff my house.Again all wooden educational toys are so expensive that i think so many times before buying them.If i have option of bringing toys on rent & returning i would love to but will hkers accept this.I might also start home delivery in Tsing Yi.That makes mom life simple by just selecting toys on website & toys being delivered to their door.

I agree there is central Toy library here & its really nice but its just 45 minutes session & the moment my son starts to enjoy the toy the time is over.AGAIN if i consider i have to take him there every week once i have to spend around 140 HKD per month on travelling.

So please hong kong parents help me to decide how is this idea? Will this work in Hong kong ?

Thanks
    A mom

thnx olives but as a monthly amount of hkd if u get that optiin.will you opt for it

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

olives is offline Registered User

yes a monthly fee is fine.

btw didnt know u want to venture out as a business.
    thought was more like a playdate with toy swapping...

but great idea tho....a yearly/ monthy membership sounds great to me !

few pointes to be considered:
    1. toys/books/cds catered as per age group (u may consider keeping diff. days as per age group)
    2. easily reachable (in terms of geography)
    3. mayb a little playarea for kids, while the mothers can choose the toys for the kids at peace.
    or may b allow the child to pick his/her own toy to know if its intersting to the kid.
    4. terms, just incase the toy is damaged after use at home
    5. same goes for books....unless u plan to have only board books.

good luck !!!

how do if i say instead of toy Library....Toys on Rent...But dont mistake for toys here as racing cars or stuff toys or musical ones Etc.Only Educational Toys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast