Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Toddler doesn't like candies

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Toddler doesn't like candies

My 2 year old boy doesn't like candies.

The other day, a cousin was trying to give him a candy and he, as usual, spit it out. Then my cousin told me that I should "teach" him to eat candies (like putting the candy in and out of his mouth so he would get use to the sweet taste).

Do you think I should really train my kid to eat sweets? I don't think I would mind that he doesn't eat candies, but I did try before to give him some chewable multivitamins and he refused to eat them before....

carang is offline Registered User
    of course not! what a silly thing to suggest! your child will likely eventually develop a sweet tooth, most of us do, but to encourage it in a 2 year old? nuts, absolutely nuts!
    Honkyblues, lesliefu and Gataloca like this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    That's just ridiculous to suggest training your child to eat processed sugar. I would be grateful if I were you that he doesn't like them! My son does not like juice or sweet drinks and refuses to drink them. I wish he also didn't like candies. I am just grateful that he prefers water over sweet drinks.
    Gataloca and lesliefu like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

rani is offline Administrator
    My guy doesn't like candies either but he LOVES chocolates ;)
    Gataloca likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    My son wasn't interested by candies and fruit juices until he was 3 years old, in fact not until he spent more time at the kindergarden and they would celebrate birthdays, that's when he got used to the sweet taste. He is still not too much into candies but he quite likes chocolates.
    Gataloca likes this.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I really don't think that's wise. First, consider the tooth decay you can avoid by keeping your child away from sweets and juices. Second, older child preferences are based on early childhood experiences. Studies on obese children and adults show a correlation between early childhood food choices and later unhealthy preferences. In other words, early introduction of unhealthy foods leads to unhealthy adult food preferences which in turn can lead to obesity, type II diabetes, and all sorts of diet-induced ailments. However, if young children are given only healthy foods, they will prefer these foods later on. (Of course, that doesn't mean they won't eat candy, it just means overall they will be less likely to choose candy on a regular basis than their peers who were given lots of sweets as children). The best gift you can give your children is a lifetime of healthy food preferences. I would give some serious thought to how much, if any, processed sugar you want to give your toddler.
    lesliefu, Gataloca and carang like this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Don't be silly! count your blessings your child doesn't like candies! my oldest doesn't either and i'm thrilled! they will learn to like it eventually so why introduce it now...when you're not even sure if you can brush their teeth properly! :) at least that's what I believe
    Gataloca likes this.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for your comments. Yeah, I was quite proud that my little one doesn't like sweets and candies... I never understood why elder people think that kids need to eat sweets and junk food. Like Thanka's son, my kid only drinks water. But then when my cousin made that comment, it made me wonder what he might be missing.

So I was thinking if it would be good that my boy would like it just a little, so I would be able to give him supplements and vitamins. I know we don't need them as long as his diet is well balance, but sometime he is not the best eater. I tried giving him some calcium chewing bear, and he spit it out. He used to swallow his delicious Scott's Emulsion in orange flavor, but now he spits it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast